Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you suggest me methods for Measuring Phase angle between two signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthukumar_ece2004

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In my project, i am need to measure the phase difference between two signals.
Can you suggest me methods for Measuring Phase angle between two signals?

Usually a PLL is used to track the difference and a VCO control signal is used as the phase difference signal. - Regards, Orson Cart.

1. What kind of signal (waveform, amplitude and frequency range)?
2. Measuring where (in a lab, in an instrument automatically)?
3. Using which resources (an analog circuit, digital signal processing)?

1. What kind of signal (waveform, amplitude and frequency range)?
2. Measuring where (in a lab, in an instrument automatically)?
3. Using which resources (an analog circuit, digital signal processing)?

Its a Sine signal, or distorted sine signal with third harmonics.
Measurements results need to be logged by a Data logger through RS232 interface.
Anything not a matter, but it should accommodate within the cost of 1000$

In other words, it's a displacement power factor measurement? There should be large choice of industrial measurement modules available for this purpose.

A simple analog implementation of the measurement involves bandpass filtering of both signals to extract the fundamental, comparators and a XOR phase detector.

Ya, its worthful using comparator and phase calculation. But i need higher resolution in measurements in the order of 0.1degree. So i like to covert the sine signal into digital using ADC and calculate the phase using DSP processor. It may worth cost and somewhat complex work.

Is there any other way to find the phase angle.

If a processor is involved, then bandpass filter, comparator and dedicated time interval measurement (e.g. "input capture" with PIC processors) would be the way to go.

“High Phase Accuracy On-Wafer Measurement for Quadrature Voltage-Controlled Oscillator,” 37th European Microwave Conference, pp. 340–343.
For your reference~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back