Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impedance on Audio Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

soham_2342

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys

I am new to electronics. I am basically a mech engg. but in my current job - I have been asked to the Audio-electronics stuff - which is good and i am enjoying it but need lot of help.

I wanted to know how the impedance in line effect the Audio Signals. In Phone design, if we have the signal coming from mic to the processor(tx), usually the RF interference is a big deal and we use big inductors to isolate that. Is there anything else we should be worried about from 'impedance' point of view.

Regards

Impedance matching... Otherwise you're gonna run into reflection.
This is something which can get pretty nasty for audio signals or any real-time signal analog signal.

Audio signal transmission hasn't to do with impedance matching. Reflections can be ignored as long as cable lengths are far below the signal wavelength (e.g. 15 km @ 20 kHz). Most signals (microphone, line level, speaker outputs) are operated with Zsource << Zload.

FYI The markings on telephone cables have been specially designed not to upset their 600 ohm impedance. As mentioned, the impedance effect only comes into play with long lines, though broadcasting facilities use a genuine 600 ohm cable which is typically driven from a one ohm source impedance into a 600 ohm input impedance. This so changing the amplifier will not change the level and one output can feed a couple of inputs will not drop the signal level noticeabley.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back