Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate ADC sampling time jitter w/o oversampling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

satellite

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ADC Jitter simulation

Dear friend can anyone suggest me how to simulate sampling time jitter without introducing oversampling in the time simulation?

Thanks

Re: ADC Jitter simulation

If your reference clocking is generated by PLL, why don't you try to focus on PLL's jitter instead?

Regards,

Hi satellite

It seems to me that there is not other way (than oversampling) in order to simulate jitering in time domain. As soon as you use uniform sampling time grid to represent the jiter you should have more dense (oversampling) time grid.

In frequency domain the jiter is represents as smearing of the energy around main tones (but most probably you know this very well)

So it seems to me that oversampling is the only way. Note that to get precise jiter simulation you need big oversampling ratio and long simulation.

Best Regards
dora

MAy I use fractional delay line filters with ramdom delay on a sample by sample basis?

hI,
I feel that is adding random time is the best thing. For example you may use

t = 0:0.001:1;
t = t + 0.00005*randn(size(t));
y = sin(2*pi*56*t);

(in Matlab)

Hope this helps.

B R M

Dear brmadhukar,

unfortunately the input signal should be unknown a priori and samplend on a unifor lattice for my problem,

Thanks for the intersest, Satellite

Hi sattelite,

>MAy I use fractional delay line filters with ramdom delay on a sample by sample basis?

Can you describe your idea more deeply? If you think that it will be not interesting for the rest you can send me private message. Sorry for my slow responce... recent days I am checking my e-mails only 2 times a week.

Best Regards
dora

I found an interesting topic which is talking sampling time uncertainty...
Basically, from the figure 3-2, you will see what its relationship inbetween the sampling time uncertainty and ENOB.

This ebook also available on edaboard, if you are interesting, have your time to look at...

Regards,

Hi Satellite,
Have you got an answer?
What is the signal that you want to sample. You are interested only in simulation ?
You have to build an elaborate model if you want to use some non-white process.

Say you ahve to sample an AR(1) process. This is simple but will illustrate the point. Generate time as I had written earlier model. Plug it in the AR equation. But remember that the driving noise becomes more uncorrelated as the time interval increases.

B R
M

Hope this helps

Dear friends,

my problem consists in modelling a generic ADC subject to aperture time uncertainty.
This model should be independent on the knowledge of the input signal that at the moment is supposed to be a FDM stream.

Currently I am thinking to use a variable FIR filter which at each instant represents a different group delay characteristic (parametric FIR or time dependent FIR).

The jitter statistics should define instant by instant the required group delay the FIR should exhibit.

I would appreciate any help on the subject.

Bye, Satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back