Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Verilog testbench for an 'image processing' task

Status
Not open for further replies.

samviva72

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I started learning verilog and FPGA a few weeks ago and I have used a verilog script that does a Sobel edge detection by running it on a video stream coming from a camera attached to my development board. The code worked fine as I can see the edges being picked up on the VGA display. I didn't simulate it before-hand because I found these verilog files online from another working project. But now I want to learn how to do it the proper way, i.e. simulate prior to testing on hardware. So following ModelSim tutorials, I reached upto the stage of 'Objects Window'.

Now as my input is an image of size 640 x 480, I don't think I can enter these 307,200 values one by one (unless I have a lot of time to waste). Could someone please guide me on how to write a testbench for my purpose? The header of my code is as follows:

Code:
module sobel_operator_eight_bit (clk, reset, data_in, data_en,data_out);

input    clk;
input	   reset;
input	   [7:0]	data_in;
input	   data_en;
output  [7:0]	data_out;

Is it possible to have the input data saved in a text file and then use some sort of 'read' command in the testbench? Or are any generic ways of simulating an image processing task in modelsim/verilog? I would appreciate any help, advice or code on how to achieve this.

Thanks.

You can use $readmemh() system function. Just google for details.

Thanks for the advice. I tried to write something as below that will read values from a text file containing hex values and write the output to another text file in decimal format. All the files compiled well in ModelSim. But when I click 'Start Simulation', nothing seems to happen. Can somebody please check my testbench first if it is any good before I go figure out what I am doing wrong in the Simulator software?

Thanks

Code:
module Sobel_testbench;

reg clk_tb;
  reg reset_n_tb;
  reg in_valid_tb;
  reg  [7:0] in_data_tb;
  wire [7:0] out_data_tb;

integer  i; // loop counter
  reg [7:0]  storage_values [0:153600]; // size of image 640 x 240

// initalize the hexadecimal read from the txt file
 initial $readmemh("myhexval_1d.txt", storage_values);

integer  fileOutput;

// Control the clock signal
  initial
    clk_tb = 1'b0;
  always
    #5 clk_tb = ~clk_tb;

initial
  begin

reset_n_tb = 1'b1;
   #15 reset_n_tb = 1'b0;

for (i=0; i < 153600; i=i+1)
	begin
	  in_data_tb = storage_values[i];

fileOutput = $fopen("result_sobel.txt", "w");   
	  $fwrite(fileOutput,"%d\n",out_data_tb); 
	  $fclose(fileOutput); 
	end
  end

//instatiate the test hardware block
  sobel_operator_eight_bit s1(clk_tb, reset_n_tb, in_valid_tb, in_data_tb, out_data_tb);

endmodule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back