Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

problem in boost Current mode dcdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

q0w1e2r3

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i tape out one PMU chip and when it coming back , i find in one boost dcdc the output ripple is so big , and seems not stable, please see the waveform of test.

i wonder if it is system loop stability issue ,and what is the root cause, can you give me some suggestion?
BTY, the simulation results and small signal model caculation shows the system is stable and PM>60degree, so i am so confused.

Attachments

• pcb.bmp
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
  • test waveform.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • simulation result.bmp
    931 KB · Views: 100

Yeah that looks like instability. Is the yellow trace your output, and the blue trace the error signal? Is this behavior line/load dependent? Are you seeing your inductor current track your error signal?

Also, how are you inferring your phase margin from a transient simulation? Usually you have to do a small signal analysis of your switching converter (which simulators generally can't do) in order to get PM.

Also I can't find a datasheet for your controller IC.

You cannot realistically do feedback compensation by calculation.

there are too many unknowns as per ESR tolerance , opto-coupler tolerance, and resistance of inductors etc.

Even if you did calculate it........you would still have to measure it with a gain-phase analyser to confirm the calculation. (eg AP200 or venables type etc)

-so there is no point in calculating it,
-just use your analog experience to put down R's and C's to to compensate.
-then measure it with a gain-phase analyser.
-or like most places, just do transient testing.

i cannot easily make much sense out of your circuit.

i cannot see compensatory R's and C's
I cannot really see where your Vout divider feedback goes.

I am nos sure why you have two separate chips.

Is that an smps simulator.....because most simulators cannot do smps

thanks for your replay. first of all, i will caculate the system loop transfer function when L,C current gain, slope compensation, loading is given, i will get poles/zeros, Q, and gain, then i will simulate error amplifier transfer function, and also get poles/zeros and gain, at last i will get the overall transfer function, it shows the PM >60 degree, and crossover frequency is 30~50khz which the switching frequency is 1.5Mhz, it seems reasonable stable.
The transient simulaiton also give load transient, and see output voltage setting, it is also ok!
But the test is like that, ans seems the oscillation frequency is above 100khz, is that anything that i ignored or some strange thing happen.
BTW, i have not add error amplifier clampping circuit,the EA circuit is very simple, one stage opamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.