Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Magnetic pickup - amplitude or frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

arup

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I would like to measure speed of generator using magnetic pickup. Range of speed is 300 rpm to 3500 rpm and min AC voltage would be 0.5V.Hence I have to interface magnetic pickup sensor with microcontroller. In this regard I require few i/ps :

a) As the speed changes does the o/p of magnetic pickup changes in amplitude or in frequency.To find out the rpm should I count the pulse or measure the amplitude of the signal.
To my understanding it should be function of frequency.Correct if it’s wrong.

Speed = 60 X Hz (to be measured) / No of Rotor Teeth

b) The signal o/p of mag pickup sensor would be sinusoidal with 50 % duty cycle ??

c) suggest a interfacing circuit with micro.

Regds,

As the speed changes does the o/p of magnetic pickup changes in amplitude or in frequency
Both. As you said, frequency measurement will be better (more exact).
The signal o/p of mag pickup sensor would be sinusoidal with 50 % duty cycle ??
A good guess, I presume. An oscillscope can tell you more.
suggest a interfacing circuit with micro.
E.g. a comparator with a small hysteresis. If the signal magnitude is sufficient, a standard schmitt-trigger gate (e.g. 74HC14) with capacitive coupling and suitable DC bias can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back