Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wanna buy a oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoeb.eee

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wanna buy a oscilloscope. There are two option -1. Standalone Oscilloscope, 2. PC based Oscilloscope

Which one should I chose? Is there any issue with PC based oscilloscope over standalone CRO in terms of accuracy?

When buying a digital oscilloscope, there are a few things to consider:

(1) Analog Bandwidth - the higher the bandwidth, the higher frequency signals you can observe.

(2) Sampling Rate - the higher the sampling rate, the higher frequency signals you can observe. The sampling rate should be more than twice the highest frequency you want to observe (including signal harmonics). For anything but a sinewave, people usually use a rule of thumb of 10 samples per period. So a 1 GSPS scope is generally advertised as a 100 MHz scope. This isn't always true for PC Scopes

(3) Sample memory - the more sample memory, the more of a waveform you can store and observe "off line"

(4) Waveform refresh rate - the number of waveforms captured per second

(5) Triggering options, FFT, cursors, auto measurements, and other advanced features

Typically, PC Scopes are lacking in analog bandwidth, sampling rate, and refresh rate. However, there are distinct advantages such as screen shots and logging features that make a PC Scope nice. Obviously, another disadvantage to a PC Scope is that you need a PC.

If you have more questions, check out some tutorials at EEVblog – The Electronics Engineering Video Blog.

I made a PC Scope about five years ago. It's less quality than a commercial scope, but it was a fun project. I'm getting back around to adding a USB interface if you're interested, check my website.

Jonathan Weaver
PIC and PC Project Exposition - Home

I find test equipment that has to be connected to a laptop a real PIA. If you do any serious testing you would have a bunch of open laptops running trying to get the system tested! But you can not argue the fact that they are cheaper. If you are on a shoestring budget--sure why not. If you can afford it, get a stand alone scope.

thanks a lot jonw

I got a pc based oscilloscope as below
1. Bandwidth - 60MHz (15-20MHz is enough for me)
2. Sampling rate - 150MSPS
I didn't find refresh rate and triggering option
here is the link
Pc-Oscilloscope DSO-2150 USB - Bangladesh

for me the best deal is a used mixed analog-digital scope like hameg 408 or old fluke pm33xx
you can get some on ebay regularly
also you can buy a logic analyzer (the logic sniffer is a cheap and powerful option) you can connect to a pc
but for a scope, as you can even have high voltages on the inputs, you need a normal scope, and not a pc scope
regards,

Hello!

I recently wrote about the pros and cons of a PC scope

Not too many pro, but we can indeed add that there are basically no
low-cost scopes with an analyzer, you're right.

So basically it depends on what you want to do, but I think if you want
to make hardware with some kind of processor, then a PC scope is definitely
not a good solution.

Dora.

Thanks a lot Dora

Could anybody please refer me some low cost (200-300 USD) standalone DSO that you used or not used but recommend as a good one -
If there is logic analyzer (8 bit is enough for me) with the Oscilloscope it will be better.

I'm looking for a scope that I can measure the levels of signal with (between 1-10 volts) and record them, so a screen shot would be ideal if it gave a read out of the p-p level and wave formation.

My only thing is I have a MAC and if possible i don't want to buy a PC. Are there any options?

Hello!

I guess there is no cheap scope with analyzer.
I would go for a 4 traces second hand digital oscilloscope. I have an old TDS 460 which is OK
for microcontroller development. With 4 traces, you can easily store and view SPI / UART / I2C
signals. I changed recently for a system with bus analyzer, but that's expensive.

Dora.

---------- Post added at 03:26 ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 ----------

It depends on how much you want to spend. I also use only mac (which is quite rare for
hardware designers), but as for oscilloscope, as explained earlier, I think you may consider
a standalone scope.
By the way, what do yo mean by "record" the signals? You just want a screenshot?
Or you want to record hours of signal for later analyzis? If you just want to be able to take
a screenshot, I think all the digital scopes provide some means of getting a screen copy.
Even the TDS460 I was mentioning earlier can do that. Well, as it is a floppy, you have to
get a floppy reader. I used an IOData USB floppy reader.

Dora.

I'm looking for a scope that I can measure the levels of signal with (between 1-10 volts) and record them, so a screen shot would be ideal if it gave a read out of the p-p level and wave formation.

My only thing is I have a MAC and if possible i don't want to buy a PC. Are there any options?

I found a pocket Oscilloscope which seems to meet up my current demand. Price is also low. Could anybody please comment on it?

Pocket Oscilloscope DS203 DSO

Feature:
Two 72Mhz analog channels and two digital channels
Signal Generator
Firmware upgrade
User applications
Open source

Specification
Vertical Scale: 20mV-10V/div (x1 probe);
Vertical solution: 8 bit ;
Input coupling: AC/DC ;
Max input voltage: 80Vpp (x1 probe);
Trigger source: CH1/CH2/EXT
Test Signal generater: 10Hz to 1Mhz
Sampling mode: real time
Sampling rate: 1kSa/s - 72MSa/S
Dimension: 98 * 60 * 14.5
Weight: 80g (without battery)

**broken link removed**

Hi shoeb,
Please better specify your need of use. What actually you want to test/measure with this scope. This will enable other to refer you better choice.

Hi shoeb,
Please better specify your need of use. What actually you want to test/measure with this scope. This will enable other to refer you better choice.

Thanks a lot Mr. Raja to come here to help me.

My current requirement is very low-
Channel: 2
Analauge BW: 10MHz
Price: low (within $200)

If there is logic analyzer (8 bit is enough for me) and a signal generator built-in with the Oscilloscope of course it will be the best. :)

Such instrument is not available in our local (Dhaka, Bangladesh) market. So, I've to relay on online shops.

Hi shoeb,
In my opinion the following is the best fit for you. This I recommend as the first choice:
**broken link removed**
This may be the second one:
**broken link removed**
For the estimated price you specified. These both are gone in my experience. But for $200 you can not buy a scope+analyzer. Alibaba is a reliable shipper atleast to me.
Good Luck.

First option is very good but it crosses $330 with shipping cost. Second one is ultra low cost and good one (nice & cute also :) ) but bandwidth is only 1MHz. :(

Last edited:

Hi shoeb,
I am sorry for :sad:
But have to compromise some where in some direction. For Analyzer you can you can use some free software for Turning your PC into a Scope.

It's okay man...
I believe you will give me some reference to use PC as logic analyzer. So, now I'm thinking about only for Oscilloscope. I got a ARM DSO nano (2nd ref of you) within $80 (including shipping cost) in aliexpress. :smile:

DS203 (my ref link) has higher specification and cost is much higher than DSO nano (more than double).

So, now I'm thinking about only for Oscilloscope. I got a ARM DSO nano (2nd ref of you) within $80 (including shipping cost) in aliexpress.
Great, Good Luck :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back