Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the initial current flows in motor reaches zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bittware

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
the initial current

I encountered a weird problem in permanent magnetic DC motor control application. I used L6204(from ST) as my H-bridge driver for a 11 watt DC motor. I set up the typical circuit named "Enable Chopping". Using DSP PWM output to drive the H-bridge enable input, I just implemented a simple position feedback and used position error to command a PID unit adjusting PWM duty cycle(0%~100%). The PWM modulation frequency was fixed on 20KHz. I used an oscilloscope to capture voltage across the sensing resistor. I had expected to watch a relative smooth waveform, but at the initial phase and end phase of the motor motion profile I found there existed significant period of zero current. I could not imagine why this did happen. So here ask for your help to explain such case.
Additionally, is this phenomenon normal? Does it have influence on motor running noise? If it is abnormal, what is the root cause and how to correct it?
Thanks in advance. :)

l6204 pwm

Hello bittware,
Could you add to your scope trace a signal representing the PWM drive? maybe integrating the PWM signal itself......
Best regards

May be it is because of the discontinuous structure of the collector (the cylinder that connects electricity to the rotary part).
Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back