Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design patch antenna on metamaterial substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark7

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I wish to design a metamaterial based patch antenna. I dont know where to place the metamaterial single unit cell to change properties of substrate and where to place ground? Also is their any method to find the er of metametrial substrate by simulation in FEKO? I dont know where to apply ports.

hi
what u mean when u say metamaterial cell and which kind u want ? pls try it with hfss feko is not good for u application give more information to receive more data

thanks for the reply,
by metamaterial cell, I mean a single split ring resonator made on FR4. Actually I am working on an assignment to reproduce the results of a paper. The paper is about a metamaterial patch antenna. It says that a metamaterial substrate can be designed by making a split-ring resonator on an FR4 substrate. Then use it for circular patch antenna. But i didnt understand where did he put the patch on this substrate? Did he sandwitch the resonator between patch and ground?

I dont have license of HFSS so I can only work with FEKO.
Can u please help me in knowing how to calculate S-parameters of a split-ring resonator in FEKO ? I am not getting where to apply ports?

hi
i never seen this simulation with FEKO i see in hfss and most applied in CST
about position u should considerations to the king of metamaterial and u aim
some time it applied under of the antenna when structure is a kind of mushroom and antenna have no full ground
some time in up when anteena have full ground and u structure EBG with SRR-TL kind

Actually I am working on same project. :D Are you using "Circular patch antenna on Metamaterial" by M.Z.M Zani,..etc? I just simulated the SRR unit cell in HFSS. I suggest you to use HFSS. The radiation box's up and down faces will be perfectH, 2 sides will be PerfectE, other 2 wave port. I am not sure that If this works for you in your program :shock:

hi
i am working on SRR design and i want to design the resonator for 2.4GHz. I am working on circular split ring resonator. Can u please provide me some literature on te design of the structure??
Thanks

u want papers for this application ???????

Hi, i am also facing the problem of putting the patch antenna together with EBG structure. How to achieve this step? my antenna is using probe feed, i would like to put EBG as ground plane, is the sequence of stacking like this -> patch, substrate, ebg, substrate? how about the transmission line on EBG itself? omit it?

Hope for reply, thanks!

i didn't get u how u want to use EBG and where u want to apply it?

I am using rectangular patch antenna for frequency 5.2GHz, the gain simulated is below 0dB and I have to get the value more than 6dB, so I design a EBG array and wanted to put it as ground plane under the patch antenna. Hope the EBG will enhance the bandwidth, achieve good gain and better return loss. What is the exact method to put the rectangular antenna and EBG together, because my patch is using probe feed, it will interfere with the EBG. Is that i just find a space between EBG and insert the probe feed through?

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

another question, what is the method of increasing gain for rectangular patch antenna?

hi
u said your antenna has 0dBi so i think your simulation is wrong and u have some problem
i thinks its better for u to solve this problem at first

and i now fr4 useful under 12 GHZ

Hi, i am also facing the problem of putting the patch antenna together with EBG structure. How to achieve this step? my antenna is using probe feed, i would like to put EBG as ground plane, is the sequence of stacking like this -> patch, substrate, ebg, substrate? how about the transmission line on EBG itself? omit it?

Hope for reply, thanks!

I'm doing the same design using CST, have you reached a conclusion? If yes can you share your design and assumptions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back