Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Power DC->DC Converter - Single Input, Multiple Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark.bates

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'd like to create a compact 100W DC->DC converter board for a communications system that accepts an input voltage (between 9-36V) and outputs several fixed voltage levels. There are so many options that I'm going in circles on this design. Some of the current draws are too large for linear regulators to be efficient, and so I'm not sure if I should have several stages instead of having everything in parallel. I'm looking for the best value (in terms of efficiency and cost) design as well as some potential part numbers.

In particular,
Vin: 12-35V (100W)
Vout1: 3.3V @ <250mA
Vout2: 5V @ 20 to 500mA
Vout3: 12V @ 1 to 3.5A
Vout4: 15V @ 0.2 to 3.7A
Vout5: -15V @ 500mA
Vout6: adjustable 0-15V @ <50mA

Was thinking of starting with a Vicor 28V DC-DC converter module that accepts 9-36V in with a +15V output (V28C15C100BL) and then using a combination of switching and linear regulators. Should I use a switcher (like the LM2576) to produce the 5V signal from 15 and then have that go into a 3.3V linear regulator? Can anyone suggest a good method to support these various inputs and potentially some part numbers?

Would like to have low ripple on the 3.3 and 5V outputs (controls DGPS and RF LNAs/Switches) as well as the adjustable signal (sets frequency of a voltage controlled oscillator).
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

ap1501 has this function,omielectronics has this power ic

Thank you for responding. I looked over the two suggestions and here's what I found.
The RT9911 has an input range (1.6-5.5V) that is not inline with my Vin requirement (12-35V).

The AP1501 appears to be a good match for the 3.3 and 5V output signals. Looks like the Vin can go directly to the input pin of the converter.
The AP1501 falls a little short on power handling for the 12V supply since it is rated for 3A and I need a bit more (3.5A). Can I put two of these in parallel?

Also, anyone know of a module to allow adjustment of 0-15V?

Status
Not open for further replies.