Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring distance between two points (under 100m) using GPS module

Status
Not open for further replies.

piyush_bhatt

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my gps device do not give lat/log change untill it cover alomost 20 meters of distance. please help me as soon as possible,

thank you IN ADVANCE

Re: Gps response problem

my gps device do not give lat/log change untill it cover alomost 20 meters of distance. please help me as soon as possible,

thank you IN ADVANCE
That is the general resolution for civilian use. If you can get the military signal then you may get a resolution of 1 meter.
Hope you are not designing for military purpose.

MY GPS MODULE RESOLUTION IS:

Position Accuracy:< 3m CEP (50%) without SA (horizontal)

AND I NEED TO CHANGE THE LAT/LOG VALUE WITHIN 1-2 METER.

SHOULD I USE EXTERNAL ANTENNA?

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

I am not designing for militry purpose.

But i want to measure the distance between two points which are 70m apart from each other using gps module. So that i need 1m accuracy.

I hope ucan understood my problem.

you mean i can't get resolution of 1-2 meter.

Yes, CKShivaram is right. It is next to impossible.

but i have to complete this project,

thanks for your reply.

i think u r right i tried mush but i can't get resolution of at least 5 meter.

so have u any idea how can we measure the distance between two points which are 70-80 meter apart.

you cant do anything to improve it... you can say it is used for this purpose and since the resolution is not good enough the demo may not be possible,..............

you cant do anything to improve it... you can say it is used for this purpose and since the resolution is not good enough the demo may not be possible,..............

if i use ex. antenna then?

Differential GPS will get you down to 3m or better, but it's not going to be cheap.

Is there a time requirement for the measurements? If not, you might find this site very interesting.
Supposedly you can get down to 1m with regular GPS, given enough samples.

**broken link removed**

Very interesting, the parent site is more infos. Thanks "Nick C".
Well If you can clear another thing. There is L civilian use and P for military(US) use. right. is there anyway we can receive and decode that signal, as it is said the military signal is very accurate.

can you tell some method to enable this feature on commercially available GPS Modules.

Differential GPS will get you down to 3m or better, but it's not going to be cheap.

Is there a time requirement for the measurements? If not, you might find this site very interesting.
Supposedly you can get down to 1m with regular GPS, given enough samples.

**broken link removed**

thanks fo your reply

i want to measure the distance continuously.

have u use dgps before?

and yes then what is the procedure to activate the dgps service in my gps module.

thank you

check if dgps option is supported in the features of your gps receiver......

you would end up making your gps faulty at the end.. take that word from me....

yes, my gps module support dgps facility.

what the meaning of "you would end up making your gps faulty at the end" ?

please specify what u mean to say.

you corrupt the data stored it its flash if the reconfiguring of gps is done with out proper tools and knowledge.. i have seen people doing that and spoiling the modules......

i saw the specification of modem but still i believe that your gps will not work or behave the way you feel....... You try to build a 10 storyed building in a 20x30 site, just because you need to build a 10 storyed building but dont have enough land to build it properly..... but anway post your reqult when you finish it... eager to listen to your final achievement...

---------- Post added at 08:43 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

if you really want spend around 15k and get a gps module and play as you want.....

---------- Post added at 08:45 ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 ----------

They are built on highly complex DSP algorithms and can handle a limited number of samples and give you accurate results.. but if you force it to take more input samples and give you more accurate reading the sampling rate saturates and will reach a point where it will ignore the input and give you wrong results....

thanks for the reply,

when i complete my project, i will tell you

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.