+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Full Member level 3
    Helped
    8 / 8
    Level

Re: Microsoft VC++ or Borland C++ builder ? Which one?why?

currently VC++ is a mainstream & I don't know why ,
    But I like C++Builder more, it's easier to program or wriite GUI aplication
    but why reference books of C++Builder are much less than VC++?

Newbie level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

These are very different tools with very different applications that can be used in very different situations.
    If you want to choose the best option for your purposes, try tu use this quiz, focused on the main differences among both products.
    <h4>The test</h4>
    <ul>[*]1 Do you want compatibility with other MS VStudio tools? If yes, note a point for VC++, elsewhere do not note anything, and pass to next question[*]2 Do you want your application to be as stable after distribution as it was during development? Yes: one point for builder; no: no points.[*]3 Do you know C/C++ at a deep level? (this migth mean from multi-inherited class templates to more strange things, or giving utility to a pointer that points to itself) Point for Builder in afirmative case, and for Visual if you answered no.[*]4 Do you like to understand these pieces of code that the IDE writes for you when you use wizards, form editors, etc? If so, point for builder.[*]5 Do you have a internet connection in the same machine you'll be working on? Then, another point for Microsoft.[/list]
    Once finished, this scores should give you an idea of wich of both tools best fit your needs.
    And now, I'll also explain the diferences among these tools and justify the questions of the test:
    1: This is easy. MS VC++ is part of VStudio. If you want your Basic and C++ binaries to work together, better if you make them with similar tools.
    2: There are many Microsoft products that are developed the same way a VC++ application is, and we have already seen the results in Microsoft products: they look nice, can do a lot of things, but many of this things often fail. If you use Borland instead, your program will do what you tell it to do.
    Another aspect to care here is that MS VC++ replaces some parts of the C++ standard with their private technologies, while builder adds some private functions to the standard.
    3: Going on from last observation, if you take this line:
    template class tree <class T>;
    you shall get, in builder, a version of the class for each value (type) T takes during run. In Visual, you migth get a generic class and data conversion calls everywhere. If you don't believe me, compile some complex code to assembler and compare results.
    4: Borland's VCL is much more solid that Microsoft MFC, and only fails when another piece of the software (or even the OS) make it fail. For example, all your forms in Builder are subclasses of the class form, so you can put them in form variables, then cast them to their true class, and do a lot more of things. MFC is about using pure C avoiding as much as possible C++ characteristics (I don't know the reasons)
    5: Even when help files are better on Builder than on Visual, the MSDN on the web is very complete, and the use of VC++ is more extended on the web users than builder, so you can take advantadge many more online resources.

My opinion (based upon an irrational, visceral and personal hate against Microsoft): Borland forever.

Greetings,
    Herenvardo, Freak and programmer

PS: Note: I've never had a crash when using BCB. And I mean never. On the other side, my PC is unable, when running a Windows XP, to run both a media player and a VStudio tool. Since I'm not able to work without music, my options are limited. BORLAND FOREVER!

•   AltAdvertisement

Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

i am working on serial communication, and i think c++ builder is more powerfull than vc++. Its very easy to make overlapped or non-overlapped serial communication

Full Member level 1

Helped
    14 / 14
    Level

I agree that BC is a more stable and user friendly product, but... VC commands a better salary in the market and for this reason I would say it makes more sense to use VC.

Ultimately it all boils down to money

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

I use BC++Builder for several years. It's good. You think it by your self:
    BCB can live until today, why? The anser is that it has some good features
    over VC++. Otherwise, it already died.

Full Member level 3

Helped
    3 / 3
    Level

I thought BC builder may be better than VC++.
    But microsoft is strongger than borlan.

•   AltAdvertisement

Newbie level 5

Helped
    1 / 1
    Level

which one of them is better for (read: requires minimum effort) for writing device drivers and communicating with peripherals connected to ports including the USB port.....

•   AltAdvertisement

Newbie level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

I think Microsoft VC++ is better!

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    442 / 442
    Level

Microsoft VC++ or Borland C++ builder ? Which one?why?

Microsoft recommends that device drivers are written in C. Not resource hungry, buggy C++!
    The DDK comes with a c compiler and all the build tools required

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

>> Not resource hungry, buggy C++!

Actually, C++ is not buggy, nor necesarely resource hungry. Portions of late MS's kernel code support is C++, but with a C interface exposed.

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    442 / 442
    Level

Try typing 'Microsoft VC++ bugs' into google and you will get 64000 hits?

The trouble with C++ is it's complexity, things like multiple inheritance and partial template specialization are hard to follow for things like constuctors and destructors. M$ VC++ does not fully support the ratified version of C++ and does some things it's own way. C++ was designed for very large interacting distributed systems when things like namespaces and encapsulation become nessesary. A rule of thumb states that for programs with less than 25000 lines of code, use C. C has very good scoping rules and can be written in a understandable and diciplined way.

Use C++ for anything other than a trivial program, and suffer the consequencies of mysterious crashes and hang ups.

Newbie level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

The boland to be hoest is a piece of crap (guess why they stopped their BCB development)
    1. The IDE itself it totaly unstable (i got like 10 crashes a day)
    2. VCL library is simply a joke as its pascal code it's not really compilant with C++, (thats why you get: multiple inheritance not supported in VCL, virtual inheritance not supported in VCL, virtual basses not supported and so on...) moreover the desing of VCL is simply stupid
    3. New langauge features (added to be comilant with ObjectPascal) make whol thing tricki (but i has to admit that properties are nice)
    4. The BCB is not ANSI compilat (i hate that i cannot use spirit, and with boost there is a lot of limitation and potential unstabilities)
    5. The unit/package idea make the bootstrap code from borland rtl overcomplicated and tricki and therefore you do not have control over your program execution
    6. The idea of streaming system and RTTI which is used by VCL is ludicrous (how anybody comes with idea of global classes names hashmap ??)
    7. The bootstrap code is buggy (both package initialization routines and unit initialization routines), as well as cleanup code (especially when you dynamically creates components accross package boundaries)
    8. Complier itself produces hardly runnable code (in fact there are several major bugs in code emiter - but if you like to change the oreder of class fields to get rid of Illegal instruction exception you may use BCB)

On the other hand you got VC7.1 which is compilant with ANSI specification, has stable and fast IDE and produces hight quailty and highly optimized code. You have also cygwin and other GNU compliers which are also good (and free) and last but not least ICC, so why use the borland crap ??

But I have to admit if you want to create a simple aplication with complicated gui BCB is better choice since this is RAD (but you may consider using C# for such purpose)

Added after 8 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by Herenvardo
    These are very different tools with very different
    My opinion (based upon an irrational, visceral and personal hate against Microsoft): Borland forever.
    Your opinion is mainly based of lack of knowledge, first of all the VCL was designed for ObjectPascal and compiled with it therefor in fact you cannot most of C++ object techniques with it.

You do not have control over whole bootstrap and cleanup code which is much more complicate that the CRTs from VC or ICC.

The BCC is not ANSI compilant, VC7.1 is much more compilant (try use spirit with borland or some of boost features)

The MFC is a WINAPI wrapper not the component library therefore how can you compare it to VCL

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    442 / 442
    Level

You are talking a hole load of crap!
    I have never had a crash with Borland Builder.
    Object pascal has been developed and refined by Borland and is a very stable and solid language. It is most probably the most stable and productive language in exsistance. All the bullshit of C++ has been tossed aside and only the solid bits have been left in. Just look at the code compiled by MSVC++,
    now you are talking the biggest load of spagehtti bullshit you ever seen. Borland rules!

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

BCB6 is good

Full Member level 3
    Helped
    16 / 16
    Level

i'm starting with BCB and i like it, may be when i try the VC i can give my point of view.. may be.. :)

•   AltAdvertisement

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

VC++ is designed of windows, by windows, and for windows. Microsoft built VC++ to "help" developers stick with the windows platform. As such, they flouted the standard, and in some cases violated it. (You can find details of this in the archives of various newsgroups.) Therefore, if your goal is "windows", then VC++ is a useful tool. There is also strong managerial support for Microsoft tools, as the saying goes, "no one is ever fired for buying Microsoft". And last in this list, Microsoft markets the dickens out of everything.

Borland C++Builder is "more standard", i.e., adheres to standard C++ in more areas than VC++. Hence, if you read the standard, and texts that treat C++ (rather than VC++), you are more likely to get the code to compile with bcb than VC++. Having said that, bcb uses the extremely useful VCL (from Borland's Delphi product) to automate much of windows programming.

--[[ ]]--