Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best way to keep track of large number of pulses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need a counter that can keep track/count large of number pulses from a device. Around one billion pulses to be exact. What type of mc is best?

I need a counter that can keep track/count large of number pulses from a device. Around one billion pulses to be exact. What type of mc is best?

Any 8-bit MC is good for this. Just use 4-byte unsigned integer, it can store 2^32-1=4294967295, more than enough.

Regards,
George

A simple software counter is OK as long as pulses don't occur too fast; if the pulse drives an interrupt, you could maybe count to a few 100kHz without too much trouble. However if there's any risk of a second pulse occurring while the interrupt from the first is still being serviced, you will silently lose counts.

To reduce the risk of this, you will need to use an external or on-chip hardware counter to get the interrupt rate down to 10-100us-ish (depending on the uC and its clock rate and any other activities using same or higher-priority interrupts).

HTH
Barny

david90 said:
Around one billion pulses to be exact. What type of mc is best?

Hi,

Bilion/sec /min ? Are they variable or not ? I think we need more info to help you...

Cheers !

I succesfully built a 32 bit counter with a 18f452 ,just by polling an input pin...works up to 100khz...

A AVR MCU(SUCH 90S1200)is enought,But pre-process circuit is more difficult to design.

if the mcu has rising & falling edge capture timer, things become
more easy like this and the code is efficient using interrupt driver;
less system source will be consumed

u can use mcu like Cygnal,MSP430,pSoc,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.