Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design of High Frequency Integrated Analogue Filters (Y. Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

tok47

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
high frequency gyrator

Dear ALL,

Do u guys and gals read this b4?

Design of High Frequency Integrated Analogue Filters (Y. Sun (Ed.)
IEE book
Contents

Preface 1: Architectures and design of OTA/g m-C filters, Yichuang Sun; 2:The MOSFET-C technique: designing power efficient, high frequency filters, Mihai Banu and Yannis Tsividis; 3: Active filters using integrated inductors, Dandan Li and Yannis Tsividis; 4: Log domain filters, Douglas Frey; 5: Low voltage techniques for switched-current filters, John Hughes, Apisak Worapishet and Rungsimant Sitdhikorn; 6: Analogue adaptive filters Anthony Carusone and David A. Johns; 7: On-chip automatic tuning of filters, Rolf Schaumman and Aydin I. Karsilayan; Index

Any comment on this book? or any1 have the pdf version? mayb can upload here, i wish to have a look b4 i buy it.

Re: Design of High Frequency Integrated Analogue Filters (Y.

Personal opinion withdrawn. Happy to share via PM, though.

actually i looking for for basic concept and calculation about grytor (as a active inductor) filter.
so, any suggestion for me? thanks.

tok47 said:
actually i looking for for basic concept and calculation about grytor (as a active inductor) filter.
so, any suggestion for me? thanks.

Please see if the attachment is useful to you. You may ask question refering to the figures inside, and we can answer that for you.

Dear DoctorX,

firstly,thank for all your help.

secondly, i attach here a circuit. I have been trying to understand how is it functioning for some time. can some one kindly help me on this?

i found it in the Kansas State University
**broken link removed**

this is a good references site.

tok

tok47 said:
Dear DoctorX,
firstly,thank for all your help.
secondly, i attach here a circuit. I have been trying to understand how is it functioning for some time. can some one kindly help me on this?
i found it in the Kansas State University
h**p://www.eece.ksu.edu/vlsi/bluetooth/
this is a good references site.
tok

N.P. First off, each block in the figure is a differential Gm (transconductor) cell with limited and controlled output resistance (the 50 kohm, etc). With the load capacitors, they are either lossy integrators (1st-order lowpass filter) or lossy gyrators (active inductors).

Block2 and Block3 are presumably a gyrator, however, it is postive feedback. Not sure if it is a design error or on purpose (to derail imitators maybe). Anyway, if the input is at Gyrator node 1, then the other node will be lowpass. For more explanation on this, please look at:
**broken link removed**

Similarly, Block 5 and Block 4 are another gyrator (with positive feedback unfortunately), acting as a lowpass filter. There is a wrong connection.

Thus, you get a 5th order lowpass filter by cascading the 1st-order LP, 2nd-order LP, and 2nd-Order LP. By properly choosing the Q's and F0's, it can be a Maximally-Flat filter, or Butterworth, when the cutoff frequency is defined at -3-dB.
I recommend you draw a block diagram of differential Gms, and trace it with the node notations. This is how I found all of the errors. I modified the circuit, and attached it here.

i know that the pmos of each Gm block is bias by using common mode feedback method.

supply voltage 3V. the biasing current is aroung 50uA. and the Vgs for the transistors named as MmX is around 1.1V.

i calculated myself not sure correct or not by refer to the process parameter that provided by MOSIS.

the fabrication process for this circuit is Peregine SOS 0.5um in MOSIS.

Dear DoctorX,

for what i get from the website, it show that this is a 3 pole Butterworth filter.

I also found that the connection is different from normal circuit when I try to analyze it. But because of I lack of knowledge in this so I just accept it.

Anyway, how can I judge the circuit have wrong connection in the future? I think this need a lot of experiences. Am I right?

tok47 said:
Dear DoctorX,
for what i get from the website, it show that this is a 3 pole Butterworth filter.
I also found that the connection is different from normal circuit when I try to analyze it. But because of I lack of knowledge in this so I just accept it.
Anyway, how can I judge the circuit have wrong connection in the future? I think this need a lot of experiences. Am I right?

Yes, that is true if you count only the DOMINANT poles, because there are only three capacitors (exclusing the parasitics). I overlooked this. And there will be loading effect between stages, so without a thorough analysis or trying, I cannot fully tell what is the passband like. They guys (or gals) did not use interstage buffers because designing them is non-trivial. However, I happen to have some experience on that (for 5 GHz), so I think they should use buffers to simplify the design and tuning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back