Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use a photo transistor as voltage source

Status
Not open for further replies.

MobiNaz

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I want to use photo transistor as a voltage source with minimum components and no biasing, could anybody please guide.

I know if I attach a resistor parallel to a photodiode, I can make it work as a voltage source.

Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• FairchildPD-AN-3005.pdf
    281.3 KB · Views: 94
  • SharpPhotoDevices.pdf
    75.4 KB · Views: 92
  • phototransistors.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 92
Thank you so much for your help.
Just a quick question, if a photodiode sensitive to 900nm wavelength is illuminated by sun instead of 900nm source. How will its performance be affected? Will it work similarly when illuminated by both sources?

There are a lot of variables in your question.

....if a photodiode sensitive to 900nm wavelength is illuminated by sun instead of 900nm source.

Depends on the time of day, weather conditions, etc. I found some discussion concern near infrared spectrums of the sun:

Companies may claim lasers and pulse rates are important, but the only things are the wavelength and total amount of light energy applied. For example, 880 nm is a bad choice. Bright noon-time summer Sun only has half as much light energy as LED devices in the optimum wavelengths.

figure1.gif

Notice the deep dip close to the 900nm wavelength for the terrestrial spectrum.

Depending on the postion of the phototransister in relation to the sun, interference may or may not occur, again it depends on many factors. If your worried about interference from the sun, use a shield of some sort.

Hope this helps in your decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.