Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adjustable DC-DC converter topology

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomHa

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Any suggestions for implementing DC-converter with following features:
Input: 48Vdc nominal
Output: 0-60Vdc (adjustable)
Output stepsize: 0,5V (120 steps)
Has to fit inside 1U rack so component maximum height is about 35mm.
Isolation is not mandatory (can be achieved otherwise) but i would be nice.

Do you think this could be done with only one stage or do I need to split the adjustment range? For instance first stage (SEPIC, forward) would control 60-20V and second stage (buck) 20-0V.

Br. Tom

One stage is doable, even with isolation. Forward, flyback, and sepic are all options. If you're dealing with significant amounts of power (like 100W) then I'd go for forward. The height limitation would make transformer design a bit tough, but still possible.

Good point. I forgot to mention that. I need 2,5 amps so max power level is 150W.

For 150W, a Sepic or forward would do it fairly easily and cover the complete o/p range, since isolation is not required a Sepic would have least parts, (i.e. no forward transformer required).
Regards, Orson Cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.