Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the loss of SMA female to female convertor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

htforever

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone tell me the loss of SMA female to female convertor?
0.1dB or 02.dB? which one is more suitable?

It all depends on the quality of the adapter. Adapters from high end companies with expensive prices would be very good and 0.1 dB would be close. Unknown low cost brands would be worse and sometimens worse than 0.2 dB.

Thanks very much, I will take 0.15dB, :)

I spent lot of time to try to measure the loss of "low loss" coax transition.
The answer to your questions is:
1) it depend on frequency.

But are you interested to s21 or the dissipative loss?
SMA are not a precision connector, so s21 (and the other spar) are sensitive to the inductance of the pin retraction. The dissipative loss isn't.
To give the value for a Radiall R127705 gold plated SMA double female , read on VNA and SNA:
@ 1GHz: 0.03 dB
@18GHz: 0.06 dB

The uncertainty bar is mutch larger than the observed value

I think it is very difficult to measure 0.03 dB with a VNA. The uncertainty value of the measure is very big.

Something like 0.03 +- 0.05 dB !!?! :cry:

Hi, sergio mariotti:
I am interested in dissipative loss.
I use common SMA female to female convertor,I mean it has no model and I don't know the producter. It has been used for a long time, more than 2 years.
The freq is about 2GHz.
Which value is more suitable for me?

Very difficult question .

First of all, what do Sergio mean with "dissipative loss" ?

If are you interested in noise temp of the SMA , you have to considerer the available loss.

Anyway, the dissipative loss is equal to (1- abs(S11)^2)/ abs(S21)^2.

You need S parameters or (better) complex (and expensive) test bench for low attenuation measurements.

Hi,marcomdd:
yes, I am interested in noise temp of the SMA, It's not the SMA connector, but SMA female to female convertor.
At 290K, what's its noise figure or noise temperature?

Ok you need the noise temp of the sma adapter .

you need to know the s parameters in principle.

Very difficult measurement (very little value), HT.

I've now dissussed privately with marcomdd about this question.
Effectively the most formal method to know the noise temperature introduced by an in line 2 port network (sma f-f, in this case) pass trough the knowing of the Available Gain (Gav).
The Dissipative Attenuation defined on "Microwave Attenuation Measurement - Warner - IEE Press" is:
dissipative attenuation=|s21|^2/(1-|s11|^2)
and is an old definition, may be valid if Gammasource=0.

In any case, the spar measurement of a low loss, coax DUT depend strongly on the pin recession of both the the couple of the ports (DUT and VNA).
Often you may assume that the VNA port is completely corrected, but it's not true. The pin of a 3.5mm connector may be recessed from 0 to 3mils.
The error introduced by a 3 mils recessed may be important and erroneously considerated as part of the DUT.

It's difficult for me make such measurement.
I just want to get a typical value of noise temp or available loss of a sma adapter.

I measured the NF of a 10dB attenuator, but there is a sma adapter in front of it. And the room temp is not 290K, it's about 300K.
The measurement value is about 10.4dB.

If available loss of the sma adapter is 0.2dB, I have calculated the true NF of the attenuator is about 10.3380. Very close to my measurement result.

I think that at 2 GHz you may neglect the adapter loss (generally lower than 0.1 dB).

Regards,

marco

But I can feel the effect of SMA adapter.
If I add another SMA adapter, the measurement result will change a little.

Obviously, It'll change, but the difference will be very small.

Another try:

Connect together 4 or 5 sma adapters and then measure the new DUT.

Than compute the availbale gain and divide the number by 4 or 5.

This is a good method, I will have a try if I have enough sma adapters. :)

In your work,I think it should be less than 0.1dB.

just one thing to say to marcomdd and sergio mariotti:

I hope for you that the photos are not yours!!! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back