Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between RF choke and inductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry117

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the different between RF choke & inductor? Can I replace RF choke with inductor?

choke inductor

jerry117 said:
What is the different between RF choke & inductor? Can I replace RF choke with inductor?

there is a difference, hope u would get clear going here:

regards,
arunmit168.

choke vs inductor

Both are inductors (bobbins, coil etc.)
The term Inductor call for a tuning element to be used on RF and the RF pass through it, of course it should be a low loss (high Q).
The term choke call for a RF block. because it should block the RF, its impedance should be high, but to get an high impedance you may get High reactance and also high resistance, so the chooke may by a low Q incuctor.

inductor choke

Did you mean RF choke is an inductor with lower Q?

One other question...
Can we use Active Inductor as RF choke??

:D

rf choke circuit

I would add some more info about choke.
The choke is a "brake" for RF and an inductor is only 1 of many methods to do a choke.
I know, also the 1/4 lambda Hi Zo line stub.
But I don't know if an active inductor may be used as choke.
Answering to guamak_menanak, the lower Q in not necessary for technical reasons, since Q = cost and since for a choke is not required an high Q, you may use cheaper inductors.

!!! Pay attention to the self resonant frequency !!!

rf choke

A choke is an inductor which is usually used to pass DC current to a circuit and suppress any noise and RF from the circuit. High inductance chokes also introduce transients which might affect the circuit or even damage it.

difference between inductor and choke

Can not replac it!
it have difference responsable frequency.

difference between choke and inductor

Hi,

Broadly, these are the same things, differenciated based on application. Chokes as others have also put it, are generally used to block RF, and are therefore put in the DC path in a circuit.
Inductor however is an element used in a whole lot of applications including frequency related applications.

inductor vs choke

jerry117 said:

an RF choke is essentially an Inductor which offers a high impedance at the frequency of operation; The RF choke thus offers a near open circuit to the RF signal and is the choke is thus used for biasing the circuit.

inductor as rf choke

Hi,

just one detail from my experience. Inductor in reality has self resonance frequency fr and cannot be used as RF choke from some frequency close but bellow fr to higher frequencies. As the rule of the thumb, the higher inductance, the lower fr is. For the broadband circuits that have lower edge in 10-100MHz range and higher in 1-2GHz range, this can cause serious problems.

Also, inductor can influence the response of some broadband signals, it can introduce ringing (overshoot-undershoot) problems.

To overcome problems mentioned you can somtimes be better off using resistor or series conection of inductor and resitor as a RF block.

flyhigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back