Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATMega32 : Serial Communication with USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbprashanth

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I started off with USBasp programmer and an ATMega32 recently and i want to try out serial communication between my laptop and my chip. I have simulated the same before a lot of times but this is my first attempt with hardware. Moreover, my laptop does not have a serial port, only USB. What would be the best way to establish a serial connection?

The options I know so far are :
1) Use a hardware based converter chip. FT232R (right?)
2) Using firmware converters like the one used in USBasp.

What are the other options?

Thanks.

Last edited:

I tend to use FTDI TTL-232R-3V3
USB TTL Serial

connects to USB on PC giving you a COM port and to 3.3volts the other end enabling one to connect directly to a 3.3V microcontroller.
there are also 5volt versions and RS232 level versions

Ok. So i should write to the USB port as if it were the serial port. That's it?

yes, it appears as COM port to the Windows operating system. Using terminal emulator such as Hyperterm or teraterm it will appear in the list of COM ports along with COM1: and any other serial ports you have.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for helping me with this one. But one last thing. Is this supported on linux also?

Status
Not open for further replies.