Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Substrate thickness for L-Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

momokochan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to design a matching network for a power transistor at 1.25GHz, and I'm having some issues. I'm using Roger's TMM10i that's 75mil thick. Are there any issues at using thick substrates at 1.25GHz? Typically I see thin substrates being used, but I wanted to use the thick material to keep the line widths closer to component sizes at L-Band.

75mil height and Er = 9.8, means a 50 ohms trace with 2.3mm width, which is a reasonable dimension.

Your reason for using thick substrate is not reasonable. especially at L band there will not be a considerable loss if your line width is not same as your component size.
In my opinion use thinner substrates.

Your reason for using thick substrate is not reasonable. especially at L band there will not be a considerable loss if your line width is not same as your component size.
In my opinion use thinner substrates.

The question is, why is a thinner substrate "better" than the thicker substrate? What's the difference? Shouldn't they work the same?

If you use a transmission line calculator as TX Line from AWR you will see that for the same dielectric, at high frequencies, using thicker substrate you get lower loss than using thinner substrate.

although this discussion is old one but if someone read it can u plz tel me how diid you calculate impedance from height and relative permitivty?any formula

75mil height and Er = 9.8, means a 50 ohms trace with 2.3mm width, which is a reasonable dimension.

Now we use many software to do so, such as TXLine from AWR, ADS, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back