Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me design a laser smoke detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

grkmr

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am responsible for designing a smoke detector that detects smoke with the help of a laser. It must detect and seperate smoke from the other solid objects.
I have no clue about how to start. Anyone wants to help me?

I suggest you look into photoelectric (optical) smoke detectors. There are 2 main types of these, simple IR/LED units that look like a typical ionization type detector found in homes and beam type detectors that have either a separate emitter/collector or combine both in one unit with a mirror at the other side of the monitored area. I imagine you could design one to alarm when the beam is partially obscured by smoke (so as not to trigger on a solid object) but a can't conceive a way to distinguish thick smoke from a solid object optically other than perhaps using multiple beams.

Reactions: grkmr

grkmr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.