Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help on a heater circuit using an Op-Amp comparator circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

scream_er

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys, i need some help on a little project i am doing for fun. I have a warming strap which I took from a mothercare bottle warmer. It needs 2A to 12V to warm. I am using a comparator circuit with a NTC thermistor to detect the temperature of the strap and compare voltage at this temperature with reference voltage. Then the comparator circuit has a relay that goes ON and OFF depending on the temperature of the warmer strap. The comparator circuit needs 12V but around 30mA, so how can I integrate both the strap and circuit with the relay. Its alright if the solution for the problem needs two power source. Can anyone put me in a direction.

What you need is called an Schmitt trigger. It's easilly built from one opamp. You just need to decide the upper and lower voltage limits.

Hello there:

for such simple thing like a bottle warmer I would not waste time and money to design such complex circuit. Try one of the following:'

1. There are coffee-cup warmers available on the market; they run ~10W, 110 VAC, and the coffee is kept at ~ 60 deg.C.
2. If you remove a bimetal thermostat from a discarded iron, this can be adjusted to temperatures from 40 to 120 deg.C; the contact is rated to 110 VAC and ~1 kW, so you can use a suitable heating resistor and any voltage from 3 VDC to 11V AC.
3. Some dealers offer PTC devices, solid-state temperature-sensitive resistors. you can select one with a suitable temperature and in series with a heater resistor in a 12 to 24 VDC circuit, it will work for years. No contacts, the current stops at the threshold temperature and starts below.

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Under point two above, the voltage range should read 3VDC to 110V AC.

Heat propagation delay ( in time domain ) acts like such smith trigger circuit ( in temperature domain ).
The thermal capacity of matherials is modeled as reactive cumulative component.

Just a simple comparator is enought to perform what you need.

+++

Status
Not open for further replies.