Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Final Verification For Cracks" HFSS freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasondurbin

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For some reason my HFSS simulation has been repetitively (and randomly) halting when I run simulations. It halts during the simulation while performing "Final Verification For Cracks".

Windows 7, HFSS 13

Any insight into why this happens?

hi, It happened with me when I upgraded from version 11.1 to version 12. In my case when I simulated my designed structures in version 12. The simulation required do much time that even before pass 1 it stops and it stops at face repairing ,,, some thing like this. So I solved the problem by redesigning the radiation box according to the HFSS guide lines of rad box distance from strong radiation end... Good Luck!

We are having the same problem, but only on our machines that have been virtualized in VMware. The problem comes up seemingly randomly and is usually fixed by aborting and restarting the simulation. To date, Ansoft hasn't been able to replicate the issue.

Reviewing the resource monitor it appears that the G3Dmesher goes out of control and starts chewing up more and more memory (in the case of the simulation that I was looking at, about 10GB). At several points it dumps all of that memory and begins again. Left alone for long enough it will get through this meshing step with millions and millions of tetrahedra and will subsequently crash (not freeze) at the next operation.

Another option is that this error seems due to the Classic mesher. You can avoid the classic mesher completely by forcing the TAU tolerant mesher and this error cannot occur. To force TAU tolerant mesher go to HFSS -> Mesh Operations -> Initial Mesh Settings and select the second tab. Choose TAU mesher and select Tolerant.

have fun

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm in the middle of rerunning a user's simulation that had previously shown to freeze about 50% of the time and it appears to be using the TAU strict mesher then then goes through a coarsening step. Do you believe the strict TAU mesher may have the same problem? If this freezes I'll try switching it to tolerant.

If the mesher is coarsening, it is a successful mesh ;) the TAU strict mesher is a sort of hybrid between the TAU tolerant and the Classic mesh. It is also the default mesher for all projects if the settings are left to Auto.

have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back