Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

+15V and -15V Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

syee10

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys.. I need help from you all profesional designer..
do u have any design of a power supply..

I have a 24VDC input adapter and i need to get a +15Volt and -15Volt to become my Vcc and Vss of my circuit. I have also LM7815 and LM7915. How am i going to get the +15VDC and -15VDC from a single +24VDC supply?

Please include me a schematic circuit diagram for reference.. thanks =)

+15V can be directly stepped-down from 24V with 7815 voltage regulator, then you can use 555-based negative voltage generator to generate -15V ..
But ..
Many (if not all) circuits will happily work of +/-12V instead of +/-15V ..
So, you can easily divide 24V into two halves by generating virtual ground, and attached is an example of such a circuit ..
More at:
Virtual Ground Circuits

IanP
:wink:

Attachments

• V-Ground - Descrete1.png
    V-Ground - Descrete1.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 343
Reactions: rozmad

rozmad

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Can you give the output current requirements.
you could use a dc-dc converter, LT3579 for high output current. Again, you could use different one, a power suppy spec is incomplete with current requirements.

The max output current can be 1A.. any simplest way just using the 7815 and 7915 regulators with a single 24VDC source to get the +15V and -15V?

The max output current can be 1A.. any simplest way just using the 7815 and 7915 regulators with a single 24VDC source to get the +15V and -15V?

You can't get there using your given parts.

abs(15)+abs(-15) = a 30 volt difference. Your source can only create a 24V potential difference. Linear regulators (the 7815 & 7915) can only reduce the magnitude of the voltage... e.g. a +15V regulator needs more than +15V to create a stable 15V output, say 17V or more. Similarly, a negative linear regulator can only reduce the magnitude of a negative voltage, so to create -15V, you need -17V or more. In order to create your +15/-15 rails, you'd need something closer to a 36V supply (36/2 = +/-18, which can be linearly-regulated down to +/-15V nicely).

If you are stuck using the 24V source, and can implement your circuit such that +/-12V rails are sufficient, then using the virtual ground circuit that IanP mentioned would work. Just be sure that you don't connect your virtual ground (24/2 = 12V) to TRUE ground.

If you could drive the system from an AC source, then you could use a center-tapped transformer to generate a + and - AC voltage, then rectify them to + and - DC voltages (two full-bridge rectifiers, one +, one -).

There are many options, it just comes down to what trade-offs you can work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.