Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coil simulation in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

meirosh

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I want to simulate a simple coil and view the magnetic field of the coil (on a free space/vacuum).
I used the helix option to build the coil and with a vacuum cylinder for surrounding the coil.
How I define the boundaries and the excitations?
What kind of port I need to define? Lumped port or Wave port? and where (in the cylinder surrounding the coil or in the edge of copper)?
There is any special definitions for near field?

Thanks in advance.

Meir

Hi,

What kind of coil you are trying to simulate in HFSS? Rectangular or ???

/SC

Hi sweetchoto,

I think it's a SC coil but I'm not sure about it. It is 5 loop antenna (I built the structure with Hliex option - the base is circular) without core inside it.
I added a sphere and I don't know how I neet to define the boundaries and the excitations?
My purpose is to find the resonance frequency of the coil, and I couldn't figure it out what is the limits of the resonance frequency (around 1MHz or 1GHz...)?
I attached a file with the structure.

Thank you!

Meirosh

Hi meirosh,

Kindly see the attached document.Its a step by step method for a spiral inductor to setup and simulate in HFSS. The excitations,boundar conditions etc would be the same for your case aswell. Check it out and implement it on your structure.

/SC

Attachments

• WS04_1_on_chip_spiral.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 683
Reactions: Hasan7 and meirosh

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

meirosh

Hasan7

Hi sweetchoto,
Thank you for the example.
I tried to figure how to model and simulate my coil through the example, but the fields are not correct.
Do you have an example for a coil structure?
Thanks,
Meirosh

Hi,
I am a newbie in HFSS also. I far as I know, HFSS solves the electric field. If you want to look at the magnetic field vectors, you have to set the magnetic field phase to 90 degrees. (Shown in figure)

48_1299082767.jpg

If it is works for you (I have similar problems), please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back