Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple to implement an ethernet hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potatoswatter

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to put two Ethernet ports on my device to allow a local connection for servicing without disconnecting from the internet/central server.

What is the best way to implement a cheap hub? It needs to be reliable, but performance isn't an issue.

I found this super duper dumb schematic — if this is really a good idea, it's a great idea! Simply connect a diode for each tx/rx path to form a 3-way crossover cable.

Grr, I'm not allowed to post a link yet. tinyurl dot com/ypfcbf

Thanks!

Are you simply trying to sniff the traffic between the two devices? If so, a regular 10/100 ethernet hub will do the trick. You can get them for a couple bucks off eBay, etc.

Using the diode-sniffing circuit could work, but you'll need to be very careful about which diodes, short wire lengths and keeping differential signal pairs (TX+, TX-, RX+, RX-) close together, so you don't create a large discontinuity in the transmission line (causes signal reflection which degrades signal level/quality on the cable).

Status
Not open for further replies.