Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the space needed on PCB for v-cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasminepav99

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm using 0.8mm board thickness boards.So I plan to do single panel with v-cut provision.Let me know how much space provide board to board and then how much depth indicate to fab house for V-CUT .

with Advance Thanks

Re: v-score depth on pcb

I always requested a minimum web of 0.5mm on 1.6mm boards, and a groove angle of not more than 45 degrees. Ref IPC-2222A page 16. For a 0.8mm board I would suggest some experimentation, to small a web and the panel becomes unstable to handle, to much web and the cutter can wander during de-panelisation.
That said there are some points to consider with v-scoring:
It is one of the most stressful ways to de-panelise PCB's, be careful of MLCC caps near score lines and other components sensitive to bending and stress, even if you are using a cutter. The automatic in line cutters are better than manual ones.
With V-scoring you have to plan your panel out carefully, as it is very easy to make a panel that will sag during the thermal cycles, hense I never had a web less than 0.5mm. You need to know what heat cycles your board is going through: Reflow, 2 side SMD, Wave, Selective Solder. At 0.8mm I presume there are no heavy components, as weight distribution on the panel is important.
I'm not a big fab of v-scoring, but have used it quite extensively in a high volume production.

Dear Marco;
- please if you can give us the standard to know how i can calculate the the size of V-cut
- second when i send gerber to fabricator i create layer named Vcut and i drow lines where i need V-cut; i assume the line width is the line width as shown in image is it correct or what?
Or this line width discribe the web size and how i can spacift the angle of the Vcut
vscore1.JPG

Best regardes;
Eslam sakr
PCB Desgine engineer

This should help. When I do lins on a V-cut layer for a manufacturer I just use a very thin line 0.1mm or so, as it is just a guide line for there machining, I specify how much web to be left and the maximum andgle of the V-cut blade.
http://www.vscore.biz/vsguide.html

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back