Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help to identity apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizpic

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been asked to repair a switch mode battery charger (24V 25A 240V). Not worked on switch mode before
On looking inside I can see that there a 2 components marked on the PCB VAR1,VAR2 which have blown, Luckily there is a bit left which has some writing on it
ZNR V14241U I've tried to find a data sheet on it so I can cross refernce it to get an equivalent part has all the searching has drawn a blank. I've looked on the RS web site at varistors but not sure on which one would do the job, I persume that it would have to be rated above 250V but not sure about amps because they start at 1-100Amp
I persume this is varistor which acts has surge protection ?

I know this may be like asking how long is a peice of string :grin:
What would normally casue these to blow ?

I've checked and looked at the mosfet's in there, the bridge rectifier they all seem good. Is there any good refernce's on switch mode battery chargers out there ?

Thanks
Wizpic

Reactions: wizpic

wizpic

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
its a transient surge suppressor or varistor
since there are two of them connected in series then one end is connected to the mains phase and the other end to the neutral
the middle joint connection is connected to earth ground and thats why it blows
When replacing do not connect to earth ground, just connect a single varistor from mains phase to neutral and it will not blow

Reactions: wizpic

wizpic

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks Guys I will take a pic and post it here, I will also have a propper look how and where there conected to

wizpic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back