Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I compare AMD & INTEL processor for computing sp

Status
Not open for further replies.

siosavin

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
AMD & INTEL

How i can compare AMD & INTEL processor for computing speed?

Re: AMD & INTEL

How i can compare AMD & INTEL processor for computing speed?

its called a benchmark 8)

in a benchmark u run the processor with different task and calculate the time taken for that task. then compare it with the results from another system with a different processors.

go to https://www.tomshardware.com and https://www.anandtech.com. there are literally tons of articles on the net about benchmarks.

but ill like to tell u something here. benchmarks arent the deciding factor in choosing a processor. its just a software that runs an algorithm. and these can be optimised for specific processors. so its easy to fool something with these benchmarks.

AMD doesnt have much support from independent software vendors (ISVs) so thats why it falls behind INTEL. the architechture of AMD is efficient than the INTEL architechture (i dont want to start a debate on this topic). there might be some benchmarking software that doesnt really recognize the potential in a chip. and thats what happens all the time. benchmarking software developers tweak their softwares for one processor to make money $$$$$.

if u look at articles about the nVidia and ATI competition u will see that at one time nVidia was ahead of ATI in benchmarks and then after some time ATI was ahead of nVidia. it was all because the benchmarking software was doing this. there are cheat codes for these softwares. if u activate them ull get a big score. i remember one was like changing the filename of a dll in the installation of the benchmarking software.

i hope that helps

Hi

You can use $isifot $andra to do some benchmark :

h**p://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=&location=home&langx=en&a=

* = t

AMD & INTEL

I test $isifot $andra, but it show two peroperty of AMD processor & three property of INTEL processor.
I want to know what prooerty is for computing speed?

AMD & INTEL

HI siosavin,
WhetStone ,DhryStone are 2 benchmarks u might have seen.... once is FPU and other is ALU (not very sure ) ...

well i think the speeds of AMD and INTEl are almost similar.. say P42.4G is approx equal to AMD 2400XP

But AMD price will be much lesser than Intel...

I test $isifot $andra, but it show two peroperty of AMD processor & three property of INTEL processor.
I want to know what prooerty is for computing speed?

are u referring to the comparison bars. those are the reference systems. sisoft tells u the relative performance of your system with respect to a couple of reference systems.

as i said benchmarks are of not much importance. they have been fooling people around for ages (so to say). just look for the best deal u can get. what suits the applications u work on and most importantly which suits your budjet. the performance of a system doesnt only depend on the processor clock speed. it depends upon a number of other things. like the chipset, RAM, hard disk. so dont be fooled by benchmarks

WhetStone ,DhryStone are 2 benchmarks u might have seen.... once is FPU and other is ALU (not very sure ) ...

well i think the speeds of AMD and INTEl are almost similar.. say P42.4G is approx equal to AMD 2400XP

But AMD price will be much lesser than Intel...

there are also a number of other benchmarking softwares that u can try out. watch out the articles at the links i gave in the message above. u can also visit a number of other sites and see what those people use for benchmarking. some softwares test the graphics side of the system. some check the performance of the system in the desktop publishing side. as i told u before that software vendors continuously optimize their softwares for a certain processor. intel recieves alot of support in that department. so although AMD is capable to perform alot, the benchmarks will show u something else.

AMD uses the PR rating system for its processors. they compare their chips with the chips of Intel. like 2400+ means that the processor will outperform a 2.4GHz intel chip. this is just marketing strategy. and alot of enthusiasts fall for it. the PR rating doesnt tell about the actual clock frequency of the chip. it might be less than 2.4GHz (in the case of 2400+) but it still competes with the 2.4GHz intel chip. so its not just a matter of clock speeds. it depends on the architechture. both use different architechtures.

AMD is very famous with the enthusiats and overclockers. thats because AMD processors can be easily overclocked. while Intel ships its chips with locked multipliers. still then u can overclock the intel chips (a 3.2GHz chip upto 4GHz in one case i saw) with motherboards from other companies. but now intel is planning to include a solution to this problem in the future chips. now no matter what, the chips cant be overclocked. the processors will have a PLL in them, which when detects an increase in the speed, lowers it back to the original value. the reason for this is that intel is at loss because of the overclocking business. think of it. one can experience the speed of a processor that hasnt been released yet.

AMD & INTEL

for CAD application i find AMD a better option
speed and stablity

binu g

This is a link to comparison between them
**broken link removed**

osamafarook said:
**broken link removed**

this link is for the older version of cpu.
looking for a new one. since on one is woried of the past.
binu g

Last edited by a moderator:

h**p://kennedyp.iccom.com/cpuscore.htm

the comparison at this link is very old. now there is alot in benchmarking what was not available at that time.

for a good comparison have a look at the following test systems

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040517/northwood_prescott-04.html

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040419/cpu-scaling-07.html

then go to the next pages on both of these links and see what softwares are used for benchmarking these days.

u can also get a description of all these benchmarking softwares on this site. like what types of test the softwares perform and bla bla.

in my view benchmarks are of no importance and whenever i read articles about hardware i skip off the benchmark comparisons. 8)

Hi

Here is my realtime experience. I bought AMD and INtel processr system a year back on the same time and i finally found that i saved some money in AMD. Performance wise it is not better than Intel .I am runnning CAD applications . After a years usage the AMD is running slower than Intel M/C.

regards
Amjad

AMD & INTEL

OK! I have used both of AMD and intel processors for a long time, running applications with high amount of CPU usage.
There are many parameters you should consider when comparing these two. Price is important however, I think that the price difference is small.
for performance comparison I think it is better to compure systems with the same price. doing this, my experiences show that both have the same performance. then finally, in my idea there is no real difference between these two.

amjad said:
Hi

Here is my realtime experience. I bought AMD and INtel processr system a year back on the same time and i finally found that i saved some money in AMD. Performance wise it is not better than Intel .I am runnning CAD applications . After a years usage the AMD is running slower than Intel M/C.

regards
Amjad

i just experience exactly reverse.
i started with a intel system .but totally usless. any time it hang.
when running CAD it is worst. but after i switch over to AMD i was highly impressed due to its multitasking capablity. iam able to work more windows or application on the same time . with out system crash . never i have seen my system halt or hang.

even if an application crash it is easly able to end without crashing other application.

i got a good experience with the AMD processors.
most people think that intel is costly so it is good but not necessary
the reverse could also happen.

binu g

Binu George said:
i just experience exactly reverse.
i started with a intel system .but totally usless. any time it hang.
when running CAD it is worst. but after i switch over to AMD i was highly impressed due to its multitasking capablity. iam able to work more windows or application on the same time . with out system crash . never i have seen my system halt or hang.

It's because you use CAD. AMD outperforms Intel in CAD or any other arithmetic calculation.

Intel shows its strength (not much) when you do a lot of image rendering, video editing.

When you look at any benchmark, look at what type of tests they used. It's much easier to ask this question in an overlocking forum.

Intel shows its strength (not much) when you do a lot of image rendering, video editing
yeah right, i'm sure most of that software i heavely optimised for intel chips, i remember sometime ago when one software (i just can't remember wich) got o release to improve performance on intel chips, guess what, amd chips benefited a lot from that optimisation for ... an intel chip.
Decide for yourself wich one is best, but if you asked me i would say go for amd

yyyy://developer.intel.com/software/products/global/eval.htm

#INTEL.MATH.KERNEL.LIBRARY.V7.0.11-WIN
#INTEL.MATH.KERNEL.LIBRARY.V7.0.11.LINUX

.V7.0.11.LINUX ,WIN

Intel® MKL utilizes automatic runtime processor
detection to execute code that has been
specifically optimized for Intel® Itanium® ,
Intel® Xeon®, Intel® Pentium® III, and Intel®
Pentium®>

Did anyone ever use a AMD 64+ cpu to do the HFSS simulation? How was the speed? Is that much better compared to 32 bit CPU? Thanks

rinjic

Here is my .02. AMD CPU is known to have efficient code (do more work in one cycle) due to architectural difference from Intel VLIW architecture. The integer operation is reputed to be much better than Intel from design perspective. AMD designers (some of them) are formerly from DEC (Digital Eqpt Corp) who at one time has Alpha processor was the fastest chip in the world. AMD is more into RISC design. One known fact in design cycle AMD as a whole company is efficient. They need 200 designer to design one CPU compared to Intel 450. How do I know? I work for one of them. From personal experience, I have AMD Athlon at home that works very well on NT/XP for running EM software but at the office with Pentium system, I detected a much slower simulation time by 10-20%.

I was told that most softwares these days are written based on intel architecture and platform. For these guys to switch and test codes on AMD architectures and platforms would require lots of capital and time. This explains sometimes certain softwares would return an error when running between 2 different CPUs. However, personally, I found that the AMD definitely provides the raw processing power for simulations, whereas for the intel, I could take a long break and pray nothing happens during the simulation.....

eep2nw said:
I was told that most softwares these days are written based on intel architecture and platform. For these guys to switch and test codes on AMD architectures and platforms would require lots of capital and time.

yes, but times have changed. AMD is gaining support from a number of ISVs. and as AMD is the first one to step into 64-bit computing, its position has become more stable. now lets see what happens next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back