+ Post New Thread
    Full Member level 4

Helped
    42 / 42
    Level

Decimator Design for sigma delta converter

i am trying to design a decimator for sigma delta converter for audio. my decimation factor is 128. from material i found i decided on a CIC filter for first stage (decimation of 64) and a half band FIR as second.

so the CIC filter has 3 parameters - decimation factor , no of delay elements and the number of sections. i know the decimation factor but how do i determine number of differential delay elements and the number of stages.

sampling freq = 5.6448M , fin = 0-20khz, how do i design the filter to get me 80dB of stop band attenuation ?

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13540 / 13540
    Level

Re: Decimator Design for sigma delta converter

You didn't tell the intended pass band characteristic and stop band cut-off frequency. If you mean a steep cut-off beyond 22 kHz, it won't work without a high order FIR filter. Both CIC and halfband or rather smooth filters. Often a FIR compensation filter is applied to achieve a more "rectangular" frequency characteristic.

CIC frequency characteristic can be easily calculated, because it's simply (sin(x)/x)^n.

•   AltAdvertisment

Full Member level 4

Helped
    42 / 42
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by FvM View Post
    You didn't tell the intended pass band characteristic and stop band cut-off frequency. If you mean a steep cut-off beyond 22 kHz, it won't work without a high order FIR filter. Both CIC and halfband or rather smooth filters. Often a FIR compensation filter is applied to achieve a more "rectangular" frequency characteristic.
    the pass band is 0-20KHz, and the stop band for the first CIC filter to be at 66KHz, to allow for decimation factor of 64 and intermediate sampling freq of 88kHz . is this correct ? i would try to implement a FIR to get a more rectangular repsonse.

CIC frequency characteristic can be easily calculated, because it's simply (sin(x)/x)^n.
    is n in (sin(x)/x)^n the order of the sinc filter. is the order same as the number of stages in CIC filter ?

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13540 / 13540
    Level

Yes in sin(x)/x raised n, n is the number of stages. This corresponds to the operation principle of CIC decimator. 1st order CIC is a simple boxcar averager, having the well-known sin(x)/x frequency characteristic.

1 members found this post helpful.

Full Member level 3

Helped
    9 / 9
    Level

n is mainly decided by your frequency characteristic required.

•   AltAdvertisment

Full Member level 4

Helped
    42 / 42
    Level

@wonbef

can u explain ur statement or point me to some reference for this

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13540 / 13540
    Level

I think, that you can answer the question yourself. Besides frequency decimation, that can be achieved by a first order CIC, the main purpose of a decimation filter is attenuation of aliasing signal components. By defining a cut-off frequency and a stop band attenuation, you get the required filter order. It's discussed in Hogenauers classical paper An economical class of digital filters for decimation and interpolation and many text books, e.g. U. Meyer-Baese DSP with FPGA.

1 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--