Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA vs DSP which one is better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I think that nobody could say which one is better. You have always to evaluate the requirements for your applications (cost, speed, availability on the market and so on).
I can only give you a practical example which derives from my experience in the field: in my company we develop custom telecommunication systems for fixed and mobile platforms: FPGAs are often used to implement interfaces between modules and subsystems (to connect them to proprietary or standard communication busses/ports) and to route digital I/O signals. The core signal processing functions are almost always implemented in DSPs.
You have also to consider that modern DSP development environments give you the possibility to use high level languages (C/C++) which allow faster coding of DSP routines and easy maintenance of your SW projects in the time (in case of modifications the reverse engineering of a C/C++ code is easier than decocding a VHDL project).
On the other side FPGA are the only possible choice in case of high processing rates and/or for particular market fields (Military/Space) where the components (DSP) could be not available.

Mowgli

hey,

fpga s are "better" used for complementing dsps, so dont mix fpga and dsp.

yeah fpga can do what a dsp could. but let it do what its made for, asic

now a days u find even h.264 main profile implemented on fpga. but thats just a engine, the dsp along side utilizes the fpga to bring together processing power flexibly

most of the video products use fpga along it. here the fpga is used as video port (peripheral). most of the tms320c644x series or davinci have on chip video peripheral, and high end graphics accelerator

now if u're working on a processor which has no specific peripheral or accelerator (which u require). use the muscle power of fpgas to reduce the burden from dsps

this post is not intended to hurt someone who's already posted better answers. its just what i know and worked on.

please correct me if u find any blunders in this post
thanx
mon

I propose and EDAboard anual festival about the silliest questions on the forum.
This one could won, togheter with the "which PCB software is the best?".

Actual DSP's runs at 2.4GHz to 3GHz clocks on 3 or 4 cores. The next generation of DSP's will be clocked at 5GHz and 65 nm technology. Most of them have already arithmetic coprocessors inside. There is available one running at 10Ghz at 15W (at least the claim).
The actual best FPGA is running at 1.1GHz on single core.
Both DSP and FPGA have power management.
None of them can't be used properly without the other.

FPGAS gearing up to dominate DSP applications

**broken link removed**

best DSP 4 MACS ..FPGAS ,,,400 MACS and more

It depends on the requirement. Depending on the requirement there are many advantages and disadvantages of FPGA as well as of DSP. Presently I am in a project based on DSP controller. It's no doubt a powerful one, sampling rate is very fast. But there are few disadvantsges also, if you don't need the speed.

FPGAs are faster. So, if u need performance opt an FPGA.
DSPs are cheaper and requires low power although FPGAs will lower core voltages are there.But DSP scores on power front too.
For floating pt DSPs offer better solution.

hello
i wanna make a portable device for real time fft and digital filters (such as NarrowBand,BroadBand filter) from 16bit sampled sound.
i need to low power chip.
it uses from 4.3 inch tft touch screen for display.
which one is better between cyclone FPGA and DSP(such as tms320... or omap series)?
ty

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back