Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Electronics/Bench Technician Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

jecowan

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a degree in electronics technology, I graduated in 2009 and have been looking for jobs since I graduated. I have found an electronics/bench technician position that I want to apply for. Is a bench technician an entry-level job? and what all do bench technician do? I want to make sure I can do this job before I apply for it and go to an interview. Its been almost 2 years since I graduated so I am trying to go over things I have learned and keep information fresh so when I get a job I know what i am doing. any advice.... thanks

The title and exact job details will depend upon the company but you can expect practical/hands-on work. Maybe building prototypes and testing using bench test equipment.

What size company is it? Do they manufacture? Have you researched their business interests?

It would be useful experience to have if you have not worked in this field before but it depends on if there will be opportunities to develop your career further (they might want a bench technician for the next 20 years, not someone that wants to be a principal design engineer by then). Most companies would probably not class this as entry level as a certain proficiency with the tools and procedures is expected. Fault-finding to component level is something you might want to read up on. They might be looking for someone with practical experience but you will have a chance if you want to do this work and can convince then that you have the skills to get started in the position.

Even if you don't think that the job is for you attend an interview if you can for the experience and hopefully a tour of their site (you should always get a tour!).

Some things to be familiar with, not an exhaustive list:

Following diagrams (there isn't a standard as such and these vary from place to place).
Writing reports.
Standard test equipment; ocsilloscope, DMM, waveform generator...
Have good component recognition skills.
Building circuits (be able to solder and perform rework!).
Word, Excel.

All the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.