Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 74HC4046 PLL with soundcard reference signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugen_E

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I designed a simple PLL frequency multiplier - phase comp II, VCO range 3-6 MHz, divider N=512, 3rd order filter, with the Fairchild 74HC4046 which has an AC input signal sensitivity of 150 mVpp according to the datasheet. The reference signal is capacitor coupled from a PC sound card (5.85-11.718 kHz).

The problem is the loop locks only for signals higher than about 2 Vrms which is the maximum output from the sound card. When it locks the loop is very stable. At lower input signal, the VCO varies between 5-6MHz even with Fref = 5 kHz, so I thought the reference signal is noisy and triggers the phase detector, and I added a simple RC LPF. I also tried using another PC, with the same result.

I apreciate any advice for making this loop lock with a reference signal under 500 mVrms and without a signal amplifier.

Thanks

The soundcard signal has ultrasonic noise (higher Nyquist spectra) and low slew-rate.
Filtering was not a big improvement, I finally added a discrete amplifier and Schmitt trigger gates on a separate board and now it works perfectly (the Schmitt trigger was absolutely needed). It seems the input sensitivity mentioned in the datasheet at 500kHz, asumes a high enough slew rate and a clean signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back