Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to idenfity the ethernet frame data belong to which frame ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

123zxc123

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a project which convert E1 signal to ethernet signal, use FIFO to buffer data portion of ethernet frame, i have a question on how to idendify the data read from FIFO belong to which ethernet frame.

eg. When read 1st frame data, at these time 2nd frame,3rd frame,4th frame may be written into FIFO, and the length is different, so when i read next data i don`t know how to idendify it belong to which frame.

Make the FIFO one bit wider. The extra bit serves as the frame "tag". The first byte of a frame from E1 side will be tagged with this "SOF" (Start of Frame) bit when it is written into FIFO. On the Ethernet side, you will know the byte you are reading out belongs to the previous frame or it is the first byte of a new frame. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Or you can use FIFO to store packet length. Put it in FIFO before the frame.
It doesn't require additional FIFO bits, but need addintional logic to calculate length of packet and write it to FIFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back