Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CIC filter wordlength and simulink simulation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bittersweet

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I want to design a CIC filter which has a decimation ratio of 32, I need 10 bits at the output, and my input is 2 bits, I want 3 stages and differential delay is 1 so according to Hogenauer's paper wordlength is N*log(RM)+Bin -1=3*log(32)+2=16 bits, however I want 10 bits at the output, and again according to Hogenauer's paper the number of bits being discarded at each stage is 0,0,1,3,4,5. Anyway I want to simulate this CIC filter in Matlab Simulink, first I want to simulate the filter without discarding the bits, after I want to simulate the filter with discarding the bits, first I use

Code:
hm=mfilt.cicdecim(32,1,3,2,16);
realizemdl(hm);

and obtain simulink blocks, I use a discrete sine wave source from Signal Processing Blockset and try to simulate and see the output with a scope but the output is not the required output, after I use

Code:
hm=mfilt.cicdecim(32,1,3,2,10,[16 15 14 12 11 10]); 
realizemdl(hm);

and the output gets worse. when I use

Code:
hm=mfilt.cicdecim(32,1,3);
realizemdl(hm);

in this case the input wordlength is 16, output wordlength is 31 and I can get reasonable results, my question is how can I obtain 10 bits output when I want to design a CIC filter with a decimation ratio of 32 and simulate it with simulink ?

thanks

(N*log(RM)+Bin -1=3*log(32)+2=16 bits) this is false because N*log(RM)+Bin -1=3*log(32)+2 = 3*3,46+2 = 12.39 = 12 bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back