Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Groping around for a way to rig this transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_letour

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
First off, I am not an electronics guy, and that is why I am here. My situation: I have a car with no aux input. I just got an Ipod Classic for Christmas. I don't want to lay money into hardwiring an aux or using an FM modulator at the antenna input (I might have this car for three more months). I also don't want to waste money on an FM transmitter, because I understand they don't work well since the FCC cracked down on them in 2006. What I do have is an old Starmate ST2 radio that has a transmitter that predates the change, and it worked really well. Unfortunately, it doesn't have an input plug. What I am looking for: Using an old set of earphones with the ends cut off, is there a place where I could solder the two wires that would channel the input directly to the transmitter? See attached picture. Two boards in a sandwich configuration, with the Sirius antenna input on one, and all of the outputs on the other. The transmitter antenna was soldered to the second board, and consists of a copper wire running the inside perimeter of the case. Does anyone know how I can get the Ipod to play through this? I was thinking that the tuner part of the radio needs to be bypassed, right? I'm just interested in seeing if this could be done.
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Starmate Radio.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75

If you've never soldered surface mount components before, you're in for an unpleasant surprise. You will likely damage or destroy both the Starmate and the Ipod if you attempt anything. The chip labeled BH1418FV is the FM transmitter IC. Pin 1 is right channel audio and Pin 24 is left channel audio. There appears to be some audio line on the interboard connector as well.

BH1418FV pdf, BH1418FV description, BH1418FV datasheets, BH1418FV view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

Thanks. You probably have answered my question. I have some soldering experience, but nothing on circuit boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back