Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Problem turning PS/2 mouse into a USB mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

jure8479

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I trying to turn my PS/2 optical mouse into a USB mouse. After soldering an USB type A male connector to the wires the red LED in the mouse glows when connected with a computer, but the mouse is not working.
Win Xp also gives a "Hardware not recognized" message in system tray after I plug it in. The new "USB mouse" does not work in Ubuntu either.
Also, I have tried adding a 10 kOhm resistor to the D+ and or D- wires (tip I found on pinouts.ru)

Thanks for any advice on this issue.

You mean you have removed the PS2 plug and have used a USB plug in its place!!!
These two are not electrically compatible, USB devices need a driver circuit.
A very easy solution is to use a PS2 to USB adapter, ebay and online stores should be full of them.

mouse_usb.jpg

Alex

P.S. my picture on the left describes exactly my expression when i read what you did :wink:

Thanks on the quick response.

Yes, that totally makes sense now :oops:
I know this looks unnecessary, but could I perhaps integrate a driver circuit into the mouse itself?

**broken link removed**

e.g. I open this little white box and solder it's contents into the mouse housing.

Your picture is of a 2 in 1 adapter for keyboard (purple) and mouse (green) , it converts them in one USB.
This works fine, you can use it externally or if you want to try (and you think there is a space to fit it) internally.

Alex

Thanks again for your help alexan_e.

Status
Not open for further replies.