Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Device missing or unknown device (-24) by ponyprog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLAZE25

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why i got this error when i try to write use ponyprog2000 serial device programmer

error:
please help..

sigpic9675_4gif.jpg

2Settingsaponyprog.jpg

program_atmega128-jaf_box_by_hackgs.jpg

fixjafnewbyzopo12.jpg

Last edited:

someone told us that atmega128 is lock so that cannot program with ponyprog,he suggest that use HIGH VOLTAGE AVR programmer but its expensive,but my friend in manila told us also that the problem is the cables use is the problem,i try to convince him that i want to share the diagram of his program device gadget he use but sad to say he didnot answer me,any one can help me to produce that schematic.

i can help you on building high voltage avr factory reset programmer i have recovered atmega8 with this easily but i am confused this is only for atmega128A you have to check pins connections
visit **broken link removed** for details

Attachments

• sch_ATmega_fusebits.png
    sch_ATmega_fusebits.png
    136 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
in your photos the GND link is missing !!! , if the link is corect Pony recognize the mcu , do not mind if protected or not, or try Avr ISP Api...
Costas

someone told us that atmega128 is lock so that cannot program with ponyprog,he suggest that use HIGH VOLTAGE AVR programmer but its expensive,but my friend in manila told us also that the problem is the cables use is the problem,i try to convince him that i want to share the diagram of his program device gadget he use but sad to say he didnot answer me,any one can help me to produce that schematic.

Hi, no need to use a HV programmer.You can easily solve the fuse bit problem by using an external 1Mhz clock.I have tried this and it works fine for me.
The simplest way is to generate a 1Mhz clock, Just program another MC to toggle its port, connect it to XT1 of your AVR.

Eg.Program

while(1)
{
//High PortX
//Low PortX
}

Am 100% sure about this. Because its not possible to disable serial programming by changing fuse, there is no provision to disable serial programming with ISP. If any doubts just post here

Good Luck.
Your board looks neat.Good Job (hope thats not a ready-made one)

@ santoshaxl

sir i also try to connect that ground to pin 25 of lpt pc port but no luck,i think the problem is in fuse bit,my friends told that i need HV programmer.

@ anandpv2009

sir can help me how to build that simple guide by step by step procedure,i have no idea in electronic fields my knowledge is limited in electronic,please help me.

@ santoshaxl

sir i also try to connect that ground to pin 25 of lpt pc port but no luck,i think the problem is in fuse bit,my friends told that i need HV programmer.

from your words I believe you haven't programmed that AVR previously. if your atmega is a fresh one then don't worry about the fuse bits.

Hi Blaze25,
When I made a serial programmer and used it with Pony Prog I got the same problem and the reason was "Not connected power pin" which requires 5.0-5.25V power and it's always good to feed this power from your usb port, rather than from LPT or COM port.
If you are interested in making a serial programmer (let me assure you it's the best simplest design i've got and it works great) check this out...
Serial AVR Programmer

From this schematic you can leave the shorting of pin 6-7 in DB9 connecter, and omit the 22p capacitors too, and don't connect the 5V pin with the DB9 connector, rather feed it from the USB port directly and your programmer will work great.

Last edited:
Hi Blaze25,
When I made a serial programmer and used it with Pony Prog I got the same problem and the reason was "Not connected power pin" which requires 5.0-5.25V power and it's always good to feed this power from your usb port, rather than from LPT or COM port.
If you are interested in making a serial programmer (let me assure you it's the best simplest design i've got and it works great) check this out...
Serial AVR Programmer

From this schematic you can leave the shorting of pin 6-7 in DB9 connecter, and omit the 22p capacitors too, and don't connect the 5V pin with the DB9 connector, rather feed it from the USB port directly and your programmer will work great.

its great post sir avinash ill try it thanks very much sir...

Your welcome blaze25...and please don't call me sir (I'm just a newbie)... :) ...we are all learners, some know more and some know less...and we excel by sharing...because...
"...nothing should be invented twice, rather be excelled..." so share, excel...

please be aware that on the atmega128 the MOSI pin used for ISP programming is PE0. The MISO pin used for ISP programming is PE1. The SCK pin used for ISP is PB1. If you connected the programmers ISP wires MISO & MOSI to the MISO and MOSI pins on the atmega128, it won't work. Those pins are used for the hardware SPI and NOT for programming.

i have same problem solve with MISO and MOSI pins replace with each other

can u show same type of help for serial

i am using DB9 connector for communication

in your pics there is no connection between pin 2-12 and 3-11 of db25 connector also connect groung from 18-25 pin
use good quality small length wire
i hav also try it and finally successfully burn ATMEGA32

Hi, no need to use a HV programmer.You can easily solve the fuse bit problem by using an external 1Mhz clock.I have tried this and it works fine for me.
The simplest way is to generate a 1Mhz clock, Just program another MC to toggle its port, connect it to XT1 of your AVR.
Eg.Program
while(1)
{
//High PortX
//Low PortX
}
Am 100% sure about this. Because its not possible to disable serial programming by changing fuse, there is no provision to disable serial programming with ISP. If any doubts just post here
Good Luck.
Your board looks neat.Good Job (hope thats not a ready-made one)

Hi,
Can you please precise step by step how did you do this because I have the same problem. I have programmed another Chip Atmega162 and connected it to the bricked chip Atmega16 then I used the Atmel Studio 6.2 "Device Programming" window to repair the fuse but still not working.

I also built a parallel programmer with PonyProg Device programming but still not able to fix the chip.

Please i need your help. It is very frustrated when you have 3 or 4 chips bricked.

Thank

Attachments

• ATMEGA162 FUSEBIT PROBLEM AVRISP PONYPROG PROGRAMMER IMAGE.pdf
    370.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Avr-ISP serial and parallel.jpg
    Avr-ISP serial and parallel.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 204
  • AvrPonyProgDeviceMissing1.jpg
    AvrPonyProgDeviceMissing1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 186

Status
Not open for further replies.