Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about muting in amplifiers for pulsed radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

oyvdahl

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am looking for an amplifier for a pulsed radar. I just got this question:

"Also can we assume that only the input is pulsed and there is no muting at the same time?"

I am really not an RF guy, but trying hard to learn. Does anyone know what he means by "muting"?

Regards
Oyvind

Pity you apparently never read a book on how a radar works.
1. The transmitter emits a high-power RF/microwave pulse to antenna.
2. During this emission, the receiver using the same antenna must be "muted"; this means - disconnected from the antenna and protected from the high power damage.
3. The device connected among the common antenna, transmitter and receiver for the above functions is often named ATR switch, or duplexer. Its function timing protects the receiver, utilizes the maximum RF power to be emitted, and determines the shortest radar range.
4. In addition to the above, a fast-acting AGC in the receiver gradually opens it, to adjust its gain from a low for close targets to a high for remote targets.

Reactions: oyvdahl

oyvdahl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Well, actually I have read one, "Ultra-wideband radio technology" by Siwiak and McKeown, but I am more interested in signal processing and microcontrollers so I tend to read that instead.

Anyway, thank you very much for a very good explanation. That was very helpful.

The ATR protector can be divided in active and passive. I used passive.

All details depend on many important things.
Antenna Transmit-Receive switch can only be a circulator if a low transmit power is used; with a high power, gas-discharge devices are used in addition.
For short-range radars like river or coastal radars, special fast-response switching is needed.
It really is difficult to describe all varieties in a short talk. Please find and read books on modern radar technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back