Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EFM32 Gecko and gcc C compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernie_nor

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All!

I've just started using the EFM32 microcontroller familiy form Energy Micro.

I'm currently using the IAR compiler, but that one is rather costly if I want to use it commersialy. And my budget might not allow that for the next year or so.

Has anyone set up gcc to compile for this achitecture? I know there is support for ARM CORTEX-M3 in gcc, but I have no ifra where to begin in order to set it up.

I'm using gcc (WinAVR) for AVR 8-bit controllers in other projects.

Any good pointers?

Best Regards
Bernt

I know there is support for ARM CORTEX-M3 in gcc, but I have no ifra where to begin in order to set it up.
Bernt

Infra???
You need to have a working GCC compiler for your host(x86 PC) and source code for the GCC compiler tool chain.
additionaly to automate you may need a cross compiler generator like Crosstool-NG.

now using Crosstool-NG you can create a cross compiler for your target architecture. if you like then you may also create a native compiler for your target too. but it is not needed.

please **broken link removed**

Free dev.environment tips and setup in this application note

AN0023 Eclipse Toolchain
This application note will show you how to set up a simple project in Eclipse, how to generate the code and finally debugging the code on an EFM32 microcontroller.

You will need a "Gecko Starter Kit" (STK) or "Gecko Development Kit" (DK) and the following tools:
• Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers.
• CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite, the GNU toolsuite containing gcc compiler/linker and gdb debugger.
• Zylin Embedded CDT plugin, makes debugging of embedded targets with Eclipse easier.
• Eclipse Embedded Systems Register View plugin (EmbSys). Eclipse view of peripheral registers of all Energy Micro EFM32 parts.
• SEGGER J-Link software and documentation pack which contains SEGGER's J-Link GDB Server. The GDB server interfaces the gdb debugger to the target debug probe for EFM32 parts.
• Energy Micro's EFM32 energyAware Software. It contains the SW examples and energyAware Commander which is used to program the flash memory of EFM32 part

Available from energymicro.com > downloads > app.notes

Status
Not open for further replies.