Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should I choose MOSFET with Rds lowest or P(dissipation) lowest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemta2000

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm looking for a MOSFET for save power. so, should I choose Rds on lowest or P dissipation lowest. Is Rds on low that mean Pd low?

thanks!

You need to look at the ON resistance not the power rating of the device. The power rating is a measure of how much the device could safely dissipate not how much it will dissipate.

Keith

Hi lemta2000,

If you want low power dissipation, do as keith suggest you, “decrease its ON resistance". For that, you need to increase the transistor width, when the Ron = 1/uo*Cox*W/L*(VGS-VT).
In order to have lowest capacitances, use the minimum value of transistor length allowed by the technology.
Regards,

Hi,
You should choose a MOSFET with lowest Rds(ON). Power dissipated in the MOSFET = I*I*Rds(ON). The Power dissipation rating of the MOSFET is the maximum power it can dissipate without getting damaged. The lower the Rds(ON) the lower the power dissipated within the MOSFET. You could also reduce overall Rds(ON) by paralleling MOSFETs.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back