Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium Designer pin-swapping between pins in different parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnG300c

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm working on a DDR2 interface which requires lots of pull-up resistors. My design uses x8 resistor arrays. In order to minimize trace stub lengths I would like to be able to utilize pin-swapping between the resistor arrays such that, after having been placed on the PCB, the resistor array pins could simply be attached to the closest signal needing termination. In other words, I would need to re-assign a net from one x8 resistor array pin to another pin in the same or another x8 resistor array.

The Altium Designer PDF documentation (AP0138 ) states that part swapping can only been done if the parts being swapped are all sub-parts of the same part.

Is there a solution to this problem or will I have to manually swap net labels in my schematics and push the changes back to the PCB?

Thanks.

Last edited:

There is one way, but it's not very lovely.

Make a single component (both the symbol and the footprint) which consists of all of the resistors. Of course, this can only work if you can decide beforehand where on the board they will all go.

This might also be annoying when creating the BOM and pick-place data.

Hugo

Thanks. I ended up not needing to swap since I opted to use serial termination built into my FPGA (slow 200 MHz DDR2 interface). The few remaining pull-ups were pin swapped manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back