Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

very interesting problem, about battery voltage potential!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xuexucheng

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We all know that battery have voltage difference between the 2 polarities.
But, How about voltage potential of every polarity r.p.t. infinity or earth ground?
Say, if the battery have a high voltage difference, when a man touch just one polarity, is the man safe or danger? WHY???

voltage is not an absloute term, it is relative term and in practice it is voltage difference. if you are connected to only one point your body is floating at that voltage.

hock

voltage is not an absloute term, it is relative term and in practice it is voltage difference. if you are connected to only one point your body is floating at that voltage.

hock

Yes, I know the results, and voltage is not an absloute term, it is relative term .
but I mean the infinity as the reference or the ground earth.
how about the electric field?
WHY?
WHY?
WHY?

We all know that battery have voltage difference between the 2 polarities.
But, How about voltage potential of every polarity r.p.t. infinity or earth ground?
Say, if the battery have a high voltage difference, when a man touch just one polarity, is the man safe or danger? WHY???
Not enough information to give a properly answer. You also have to scetch any souroundings and distances to any conductive material such as earth, nearby wires and other stuff.

Not enough information to give a properly answer. You also have to scetch any souroundings and distances to any conductive material such as earth, nearby wires and other stuff.

we can do some assumptions.
then analyze.
how about the e field?

This question is like asking "how long is a piece of string". Then saying the answer is wrong because if you measure it from a different place on Earth the figures are different.

Voltage is measured as a difference in potential from one point to another, both points have to be specified. The same applies to field strength, without a starting point you can't see how far it is to the end point.
Ground or Earth is not a suitable reference for all measurements. If you want to test that, measure the resistance between two probes 10cm apart by pushing them into dry desert, then try again in the sea, I think you will see a difference.

This question is like asking "how long is a piece of string".
Just cant resist answering this one. The answer will be the result of function Len(nameOfStringVariable) in VB :)

look
look at the 220 volt two lines at your home
you have one for ground you can touch it but you can't touch the other line because you will be the ground for it and your body will be the short circuit to ground

if you want to do it take care :D
i will miss you
:D

what is the principle of the baterry?
I think the positive polarity will have positive charge and the negative polarity will have negetive charge.
so, the seperated charges will have e field. and respect to infinity, there will be voltage.
Right??

You might imagine electric flux lines between the battery poles similar like magnetic flux lines between a magnetic dipole (e.g. between the poles of a horseshoe magnet). Also, you could imagine, that far, far away such electric flux lines touch "infinity" (at half of their way), then return to the other pole. So infinity's potential is half way between the poles of your battery, i.e. at Vb/2.

Which means that the center taps of all batteries are connected to each other. But rather far away, i.e. via an infinite resistance. I very much like this idea! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.