Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are opensource anti-virus trust worthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raynertisdale

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Are opensource anti-virus trust worthy? What is your opinion about these type of anti-virus? If they're good and they're free then they're supposed to be popular right?

Are opensource anti-virus trust worthy? What is your opinion about these type of anti-virus? If they're good and they're free then they're supposed to be popular right?

It depends on what you mean by "Trust Worthy".
for me, Yes They are. I know ClamAV which is very good. You get the Virus database update after a little delay than other paid AV softwares.
By the way Why not switch to Linux( Again Opensource) to keep Virus at bay.

I may be wrong, but if some tool that are Free or sponsored just for donations, pehaps are not so good like payed tools.
This is because structure of some companies that have anybody 24hrs around word working full time to recognize new viruses and start developing to detect it.

+++

I may be wrong, but if some tool that are Free or sponsored just for donations, pehaps are not so good like payed tools.
Linux is free And it is NOT bad.
This is because structure of some companies that have anybody 24hrs around word working full time to recognize new viruses and start developing to detect it.
Earlier I used to work for a Security Company and they have a Antivirus based on Kaspersky engine. So they don't have there virus database, they rely on kaspersky.
At-least the Clam-av fellows are not like that.

Again There is a SVG which has a free version. it has only one drawback that it gives out the free signature 15 days late.

You can trust avast antivirus.

free AV is usually split between several major ones:

ClamAV
Avira
AVG
Avast

though there are of course loads, these ones come up again and again as leaders in the free AV stakes.
I have been using Avast for quite a while and I find it to be better than AVG on system resource consumption, but AVG also has a good database and good removal rates.
Avira I've always had problems with in that it was slow and was never able to remove any virus's I got, though others swear by it.
ClamAV is one of the few portable free AV apps though I have found it very slow to do a scan.
I'd reccomend Avast overall

EDIT: my bad I see you said open source, not free...

EDIT, should mention where I have written Clam I mean ClamWin the windows app that uses the clam AV engine

Last edited:

I suggest Avira AntiVir personal

Hey leo_o2, out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you would recommended Avira AV, or is it through personal experience?

I use ClamAV on Linux(Fedora) ,Works good but does misses some viruses sometimes.
So in my opinion if u r looking for total security, there are better ones
however if u r interested in opensource softwares u can give it a try.

ClamAV is very lame.......literally ....wont detect ur usb....not until u forcefully scan it....detects viruses...deletes them...wont fix.....

Why even bother with anti virus programs?
Don't you think the dire threat of virus attack is promoted by the companies that make anti virus software?

Some of the anti virus programs are just as bad as the virus, they get every where and slow down the system.

If you are using Windows, you get Windows defender for free.

Just don't open any dodgy emails and be careful if you visit any questionable web sites.

Several reasons in my experience:
1. It will consume very few system resource.
2. The virus lib is completed and updated in time.
3. It is free.

Hey leo_o2, out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you would recommended Avira AV, or is it through personal experience?

Why even bother with anti virus programs?
Don't you think the dire threat of virus attack is promoted by the companies that make anti virus software?

Some of the anti virus programs are just as bad as the virus, they get every where and slow down the system.

If you are using Windows, you get Windows defender for free.

Just don't open any dodgy emails and be careful if you visit any questionable web sites.

sorry but every body is not that advance user like may be i am....i use windows with no antivirus at-all ...and its been ages since i last saw my computer infected...may be when i was a kid....i use usb all the time...i have 500Gb portable, connects to any pc....so the thing is that every body wont get to have that skill that some have...back to question ,antivirus is necessary....

ClamAV is very lame.......literally ....wont detect ur usb....not until u forcefully scan it....detects viruses...deletes them...wont fix.....

Then why not send a patch ? It is open source. YOu can always contribute.
By the way I use LINUX and my machine is free from virus. is not it?

A side note: 6 years back I have worked for a company who used to write Anti-virus software for Windows and Linux.
I have contributed the Real-time scanner.
IIRC the anti-virus software is configurable for which drives it will run a scan and you can mention if you need to scan any detachable device when it is connected.

Actually no open source ant-virus are trustworthy. Because mostly they are designed for particular types of worms or viruses. Often they are very effective against worms not on viruses. For me Microsoft Security Essential is excellent & obviously it is totally free!! After installation it becomes a part of your OS.

Actually no open source ant-virus are trustworthy. Because mostly they are designed for particular types of worms or viruses. Often they are very effective against worms not on viruses. For me Microsoft Security Essential is excellent & obviously it is totally free!! After installation it becomes a part of your OS.

You are WRONG. check the ClamAV. Only it lacks is in few virus updates. Else it is very good.
As it is open source its update process is slow around 15 days. But it is very good if you use it.
If you say most of the open source anti-virus are written for a single virus or worms then I have nothing to say.
There are free AVG and Open source ClamAV which are full fledged.

Status
Not open for further replies.