Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cost effective solution for 15 min timer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorrpeio

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is need based project...

Need:-
1. I have a relay which will connect the water heater to AC mains.
2. The relay should be on for 15 min i.e. heater will be on for 15 min.
3. After 15min the relay should disconnect heater from ac mains. Also, it should play a buzzer as an indication that heater is disconnected.

Solution:-

The solution I got, is to use a timer which will be ON for 15 min and then OFF till it gets next trigger.

I thought to use IC LM7555 in monostable mode. But the ic costs $3.5 :sad:
Now, I am hopeful that I will get a microcontroller in range of $1 which can serve my purpose. Further, the mc will make the timer flexible enough. :idea:

Can anyone tell me, if I am thinking in right direction? What will be the cost effective solution for the above problem? If it is mc, which mc will be cheapest and serve the purpose? :?

You could see the PIC10 MCU series ($0.30) - from 6-pin MCU in SOT23 package...also try PIC16F630A, PIC12 series, ATTiny13/15...

Hi,
Cheapest depends on price in your location, but the cheapest in my opinion is:
PIC10F200 - https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDeta...F200-I-P/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsUzhEcHltCuQQRW9clX5eR - $0.59 if you buy one piece, less for more

There are others, eg PIC12 series, ATtiny series, etc
You could check PIC12F508 - https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDeta...F508-E-P/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvcAs5GUBtMdWTLOTt6ae0S
ATtiny12 - more expensive

If you plan on expanding your project later on, you might be better off using PIC12, ATtiny or something bigger.

If you need any help in programming, feel free to ask.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

@Tahmid,

thank you for help.

I have gone trough the datasheet of the pic10F200.

I understood that external crystal is not required for this mc. Further, it has timer, which I can use for 15min timer switch.

But, how to program this mc. I have MPLAB s/w tool but dont have any programmer. Can you tell me if there is any cheap solution to program the pic10 ?

Hi,
Are you a first time programmer? If so, then I recommend you use something like mikroC or mikroBASIC to program the PIC. For programmer, if you want cheap you could build a serial port programmer, or you could look for a cheap Chinese made programmer. However, if you intend to use PIC for a long time, I suggest you spend $50 and get a PICKit2. Will serve you great.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

Hi,
It works without external crystal but gives most precision with external crystal. However, you need a delay of 15mins and a second or two here and there wouldn't make that much of a difference, so you can avoid the external crystal to reduce parts count and make it more simple.
Also take a look here: mikroElektronika - PIC Compilers

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

@Tahmid,
thnx again for reply.

I have never programmed pic.
And I think if I could build my own serial port programmer, it would be learning experience too.
Though, I searched for how to build the serial programmer for pic10, I didnt get anything.

Do you have any link or tutorial which explains abt how to build serial port programmer for pic10F200 ??

Also, if I build it, can it be used for other pic like pic16, pic18 in future?

Hi,
If you plan to program more PICs in the future and build one yourself, try these:
Serial Port Professional PIC Programmer
Parallel Port PIC Programmer

The programming software is available on those pages.

I recommend building the parallel port one, however it is your choice. After you're done building this, I still recommend getting a PICKit2 as it will support more PICs and continue to do so in the future, especially useful if you're going to use PIC24, dsPIC (30 and 33) and/or PIC32.

However for the time being, your own one will do just fine.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

hi...
the link you mentioned supports only PIC 12, 16 and 18 version. I am thinking to use PIC10F200. So, I dont think those programmer would be useful to me.
The datasheet has given that PIC10F200 supports ICSP and has only 2 pins(ICSP_DATA and ICSP_CLK) for that purpose.
I was thinking, if by some way I can transfer the hex file to the pic through these pins. Wont it be possible?

thank you for the links...

will the MultiPic v2 work for pic10?

Hi,
I don't think so. If you look here:
**broken link removed**
PIC10 is not listed as a supported device.
The smallest supported devices are PIC12.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

I have some PIC10F222 (or F202), so I could check and let you know. My idea is to use combination of MultiPic v2 with WinPic SW, also I have PonyProg and PicKit2 so I will try all of them )))

---------- Post added at 09:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 ----------

I have just found, that JDM programmer + WinPic is working for PIC10F202.
Below is link to Russian forum.
JDM + WinPic = PIC10F202.
Although 10f206, 12f510, 12f683 are not working with this combination...

@Tahmid,

Yes, I also didnt find pic10 in that link. But I thought Kreitzz might have tested it, so waited for his response :)

@Kreitzz,
I dont understand russian :(. KIndly let me know which cheaper programmer supports the pic10 from the list you mentioned above.

Since I am doing this project at home for a water heater which costs just only $4, I would not want to spend $2-3 merely on its timer.

Hi!
Another cool link with SW and HW, officially supporting Pic10F (not all models):
**broken link removed**

thank you fellas...I have to build a programmer from these many options now. I will come up with a problem if occurs in between. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.