Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make a 2-20GHz, 1kw HPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikechang

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I was tasked to research on the possibility of making a ultra wideband high power amplifier. BW is 2-20GHz @ 1000w Output CW,

I've been researching on some power amplifiers manufactures, and the highest PA i saw was 30w at the same freq range (Bonn Elektronik). So I'm guessing this isn't available commercially.

Then I found some books and papers pointing to the direction of using some pre-amp, power splitter, HPAs, and then power combiner to achieve good BW and high power, but high power wideband splitters/combiners seems kinda hard to find as well.

So far I know TWTAs are probably the way to go for the ultra wideband HPA since Solid States in general doesn't produce that high of power. Wilkinson or Radical might be the choice for splitter/combiner, but I haven't found anything promising yet.

So I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a good direction of researching by telling me what types of topologies for HPA and splitter/combiner could reach such requirements.

Thanks!

So, if you power combine 50 of those amps, you will be getting close! Let us know how it works out.

So high power, you can't use microstrip splitter/combiner, maybe you need waveguide. But 2~20GHz is difficult to find suitable waveguide.

The bandwidth of a Traveling-Wave Tube is about one octave. Specific to TWT's, more power they get, less bandwidth they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back