Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential Op-Amp to Differential ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanua

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

New to the forum and it seems I have some question regarding using an op-amp to present a real word input to a differential ADC.

I'll present some information of the time of input I want to be sampling. The input comes from a detector which has negative going pulses with rise times from 20-40 nsec, falling times around 100 nsec. Pulse amplitudes are from -20 mV to -100 mV. Basically what I want to do, is to use the op-amp to AC couple the detector input to the ADC and have the pulses taking up the whole range of the ADC.

The ADCs I'm using will be the ADS62P28/29/48/49. All of these are interchangeable as long as I have the proper connections made on the board. Output from the ADC will be to a FMC connector on a FPGA board.

The part I'm not really confided is the configuration of the op-amp to ADC since i've never worked with this before.

I'll post some schematics of what I have so far. op_amp_input.jpg
This first one is the input from the BNC connector to the op-amp. Right now, I have it configured for a differential gain of 1.

I understand that I basically need to take the input signal range, amplify it and shift it into the input range of the ADC. Which I believe is the job of the op-amp. I've seen so many configurations of op-amps which seem to do the same thing that I'm just confused now.

This is the ADC configuration.
adc_input.jpg

The ADC input range seems to be 2Vpp. What does this mean? Is this between +1 V to -1V for what does it mean? Also what is the purpose of the Vcm and how does it need to be connected between the op-amp and ADC.

dear the things you explained are not so clear, please define the op-amps output clearly so that we can work on it.

dear the things you explained are not so clear, please define the op-amps output clearly so that we can work on it.

Would you please explain what I need to re-define on the schematic. I've used nets to link between schematics.

I've changed the analog input a bit using a new op-amp. Is this circuit properly balanced and AC-coupled?

Status
Not open for further replies.