Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

copper pour on pwr and gnd plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

Please comment is this a correct gerber view of the power plane .

I don't know, what the red etc. circles are. The blue pads are obviously antipads, and drills connected to the plane don't show. I would overlay the drills when checking the gerber.

The red circles are thermal reliefs.How would the drills be shown.And also does the power plane look like this.I have attached two pictures:eek:ne for top layer(ground filled) and other for power plane.Top layer looks ok as it has copper pour and i can see it.But the ground background is only white.But it has thermal reliefs.

How would the drills be shown.
I don't know with your PCB tool. Most tools can show the drills with their assigned tool size.
But the ground background is only white.
It's a usual negative layer output. If you invert the colors, you see the copper. Most gerber tools have an option to show planes inverted.

Hi FvM,
Here is the overlayed output of drills and power.

Vias, dont require thermal relief, its hard to tell if any are connected to the plane.
As I said earlier, it is much less error prone and intuitive to use positive planes, and I would ALWAYS teach new users to PCB design to se positive planes, it is best practice.

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam...
You preferance for positive plane is O.K., and anyone may consider it, if his tools support it. The pros and cons must be discussed related to the respective tool. I e.g. don't know the situation with layout plus. I expect, that a professional layout tool, if working with negative planes, can do a complete DRC for it.

Thermal relief on vias hasn't to do with positive or negative planes. I agree, that you normally should't use the option, if your tool has it. I don't remember a situation now, where it had be useful.

For the drill tool display, I suggested actual size rather than a drill symbol drawing. Otherwise it's hard to read.

I have used negative planes and what you have to keep in mind is, "What you see is what you not get".
negative planes are already filled with copper, if you add something on such a layer you will actually create openings in the plane.

For wysiwyg you need to use the positive plane layer.

Hello everyone,

So if the plane is negative does it mean in the gerber output also you will see the same.My main question is this??How one should make sure in the final gerber output negative plane is a solid copper?And I am new to layout plus gerb tool,i don't know how to invert planes??If someone know,can you please tell me.Also Please someone take a look at the image I uploaded and comment whether it is the way negative planes look in the gerb tool.

The main reason for using negative planes is the reduction in design size , making you'r design better to handle and faster.

So for large backplane's with a lot of planes it will help you. The big disadvantage is that you do not have a regular view of those plane layers and therefor are hard to check.

As far as I know Intercept's Pantheon is handling negative plane very well, i do not know how other design software is doing.

So if the plane is negative does it mean in the gerber output also you will see the same.
As I said before, the shown output looks quite regular for a negative plane. When you transfer the gerber files to the layout company, you should supply some kind of job description with it, e.g. specifying the layer order. The description should clearly mark the negative planes (although a CAM operator will recognize from their look anyway). You don't need to invert the data.

Thanks FvM for your kind help.I have released the boards to the fab house.And waiting for the results.Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back