Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lcd decoder on Spartan 3A VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

amronasr

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

i need for a project to decode characters sent to RS232 Receiver module the RS 232 receiver will feed its data to the LCD display and that will be on spartan 3A .

i have the RS232 Receiver module done but what i am missing is the part related to the LCD display as i want one and i hope it is in VHDL and not relying on picoblaze if that 's possible.

i would really appreciate if someone helps me regarding this matter

yes , i solved the problem ,
are you working on the same problem?

I'm programming microblaze with Spartan-3E board, my problem was how to write data from microblaze at LCD embbed at board, but this is solved, now my problem is to make diferent data data appear on screen, maybe using the rotary push button, but still dont know if i can manage it with *.c languague at microblaze or with .*vhdl, but this last option have no idea how to intereact .*vhdl with the *.c.
do u know something about this? or where i can learn how it?

thks

Just to clear up a misunderstanding

C would be written for a processor
VHDL would written to create the processor

VHDL and C dont mix directly, as C is a programming language and VHDL is a hardware description language.

So you could do your LCD display in C if you have a processor.

my lcd display is done, i used microblaze, i can write there any data with size of 16x2.

the main problem is, my data is bigger then line size at screen. i Read about do some automatic shift to the data till would be possible to read all the line...BUT, I tougth would be possible with hardware description control the rotary button, and with this control each line i want, till read it all..

So what i said before it was, how can i control(if possible) the processor(*.c) with the button(*.vhdl)?

thks

after read, ill design my hardware description for the rotary button, and then acess this over processor.
thks

hi joaoprata,

I am also trying to interface LCD with microblaze. Can you please share the XPS project file, so that it will be useful to me.

thanks,
V. Prakash

hi joaoprata,

How to interface LCD with microblaze. spartan fpga is 3.3V and the LCD is 5V. how you did? please let me know.

Regards,
V. Prakash

hi joaoprata,

How to interface LCD with microblaze. spartan fpga is 3.3V and the LCD is 5V. how you did? please let me know.

Regards,
V. Prakash

The LCD display is powered by a +5v supply. This means that if the display is read it will potentially drive the data signal lines above the maximum level
(VCCO+0.5v) allowed for the Spartan-3E and StrataFLASH pins which are both powered by 3.3v. Therefore the display data pins have been
connected via 390W series resistors to limit the current and voltage during read operations.

All this infos u can get at Xilinx website : **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.