Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

spiral inductor simulation - ADS Momentun

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjha

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

I am trying to design a spiral inductor in agilent ADS momentum. I took the MRIND element and attached differential ports to it , defined a mesh and simulated it from 1GHz to 10 GHz. but i am getting a very low value of L(in pH) and Q (<1)
i am also getting a very large resistance R ~ 50 ohm to 100 ohm from 1 to 10 GHz . the inductor dimensions are 50 um by 50 um No of turns = 1 w = 4 um .

can anyone please help me with this?? i am new to momentum and i am not able to get this right..

thanks..

What is the mesh frequency value? You have to set the maximum frequency of the S simulation i.e 10GHz.

How do you compute L value? From S11?

it was 5 GHz ..i'll change it to 10 GHz..
thanks a lot..

btw..can you please tell something about substrate definitions..i think i might be wrong there..thanks..

i computed L from S11 using
y = stoy(s) to get y parameters
and L = imag(1/y11)/(2*pi*f)

did you define a conductor layer between your substrate and free space ? (using "strip")

You must see 3 layers in the substrate definition such as ground plane, substrate and free space.

hey jayce..sorry for late man..

i saw the conductor defination(strip)... the conductor was defined as perfect conductor -
i changed it to conductor(impedence) and defined the value of impedence as 0.007 ohm per square - is that right?? or should i be using perfect conductor??
thanks

With perfect conductor metal assignment, you should get similar result regarding to real conductor definition.

I would try strip conductor (sigma) and 4.1e7 siemens/m, this is copper.

Finally, getting inductance in the pH range could be real. Why did you think was small?

ok i'll use copper..
inductance is ok..its the (Q < 1) that bothers me..

ok i'll use copper..
inductance is ok..its the (Q < 1) that bothers me..
IF Q factor is too low, your losses are high.
What they are ??
Substrate losses, conductor losses and Eddy losses.
Double check your substrate definition and layer structure..

@jayce and bigboss: thanks guys for your help..i think i got it right now..
i changed layer and substrate definations to cond - copper and MSUB1...and i am getting a Q of about 5..

btw, i am trying to make a transformer now..if i make another inductor on a higher layer, i should be able to do my thing right??
thanks..

btw.. i read from momentum tutorial that MSUB1 should not be used for momentum..it gives inaccurate results..so now i am using a predefined silicon substrate..

Hi Kjha, How are you feeding predefined silicon substrate defination. May I get the details of substrate and metal layer info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back